Bob Dougherty's passing

A conversation among Whalers
Jeff

Bob Dougherty's passing

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:38 pm

I received a call from Janis Teeguarden Johnson​ of Magic Brush this morning informing me that Bob Dougherty passed away last night in his sleep. It’s my understanding this is now public knowledge so I thought I would share with the community.

It is a sad day for his family, the extended Whaler family and the marine industry as a whole. We didn’t just lose one of the founders of a brand we love so much, we lost an innovator, a designer, a craftsman and an all around good guy. I had the great pleasure of meeting him in person at the 2008 Miami Boat show and he was very gracious with his time. We talked about how he designed his Whalers, and he even gave me an amazing behind the scenes story of what went into designing the first Outrage and the rift that he and Fisher had over it. Funny how many of us look at the 21 ribside as the most iconic and sought after Whaler today, but it was his least favorite. As I sit here today I am grateful to have had that opportunity to speak with him.

By penning the vessels many of us grew up with, he was a part of our childhood without even trying to be. He created these crafts that as a child provided so much fun, freedom to explore and grow. And as we have aged with these hulls, they continue to transport us back to our childhood roots every time we get aboard. Even if you did not have a Whaler as a child, there was always that mystique about them, and if you own one now, you likely do because it was a dream from your childhood.

For any great designer, your legacy is judged on how your work has stood the test of time. With that, I think it’s fair to say Bob Dougherty is among the greatest to work in the industry. His Classic Whalers today are as, if not more sought after in some cases than they were back in the day of production. He is in my book up there with C. Raymond Hunt, Dick Bertram, and only a few select others. His work after Whaler at Edgewater and then on to Everglades shows he was a man with a passion to continuously innovate and create the best in the business.

For me as a designer myself, I have tremendous respect for Bob Dougherty because of how he drew and created his designs. He did them with pencil and paper. While that might sound like a no brainer, in today’s world it is a quickly vanishing art. With just paper and a pencil you can craft, create lines and work on aesthetics in a way that a computer does not allow you to do. It is a much freer, rawer and more expressive form of creation. You are not trying to manipulate a device to create a line based in math data. You are using your brain to dream and your body and joints to move with your thoughts….it is pure creativity…..

Today is a day when another chapter is a closed for the Classic Whaler community. While the legend lives on with his hulls, there can never be another true “Classic” Whaler produced. Also, there is so much history and so many untold Whaler stories that many never be told…

My thoughts go out to his family and close friends. The man will be missed by many….Fair winds and calm seas Mr Dougherty...
Attachments
EVERGLADES_-DoughertyDraftingTable.jpg
EVERGLADES_-DoughertyDraftingTable.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

jimh

Re: Bob Dougherty's passing

Postby jimh » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm

As Jeff did, I met Bob at a Miami International Boat Show. He was similarly generous with his time. We sat and talked about the good old days at Boston Whaler and the early boat designs. He drew several sketches for me to explain things he was talking about on napkins while eating his lunch--I still have the napkins! He was at the show to sell his own line of boats, I was obviously not a potential customer, but he was most gracious, friendly, and approachable on the subject of Boston Whaler boats and their history.

Jeff's obsequy was very good, and for a very good man.

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 pm

1993 23 Walkaround Whaler Drive - 1988 190 Grady White Tournament- 1981 15' Striper (under restsoration) - Curator of Everything Boston Whaler on Instagram

andygere

Postby andygere » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:12 am

The popularity of this site and enthusiasm of the membership here at continuousWave is a living tribute to Bob Dougherty and the art that he created.
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:22 pm

Well said Andy!
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:43 am

Condolences to his friends and family. Good work Bob!

Binkster

Postby Binkster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:12 am

I think that Bob was the last of the great boat designers and innovators that I remember. Here is a newspaper article about it.
http://www.news-journalonline.com/artic ... /160329545

rich

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks Binkster that was a nice newspaper article.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot