The WHALER 27 Models and hull dimensions

A conversation among Whalers
jimh

The WHALER 27 Models and hull dimensions

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:01 pm

One of the larger classic-era Boston Whaler boats was a model called the WHALER 27. These boats were generally listed by Boston Whaler under the grouping of SPORTFISHING MODELS. All models with this designation share the same hull, with these dimensions:
    LOA: 26-feet 7-inches, except the Whaler Drive models at 29-feet 1-inch
    BEAM: 10-feet

There were several model variations, with three distinct branches, the WHALER 27, the WHALER 27 FULL CABIN, and the WHALER 27 WALKAROUND:
  • WHALER 27 Outboard
  • WHALER 27 Sea Drive
  • WHALER 27 Inboard
  • WHALER 27 FULL CABIN Sea Drive
  • WHALER 27 FULL CABIN Inboard
  • WHALER 27 FULL CABIN WHALER DRIVE
  • WHALER 27 WALKAROUND WHALER DRIVE

For other than inboard models, the minimum power was 300-HP, and the maximum power was 600-HP.

For outboard powered models the draft (with engines tilted up) was 21-inches. For inboard models the draft was 30-inches.

The specification that varied the most was the hull dry weight. The hull dry weight for the WHALER 27 outboard (notched transom) model was 4,520-lbs. Adding a full transom for the Sea Drive model raised weight to 5,650-lbs.

For a WHALER 27 FULL cabin I have not found an outboard model listed. The WHALER 27 FULL CABIN Sea Drive is listed in the 1986 catalogue at 5,950-lbs. Somewhat curiously, the WHALER 27 FULL CABIN WHALER DRIVE is listed in the 1990 catalogue at 5,235-lbs. This seems odd because I would expect the the Sea Drive model to weigh less than the Whaler Drive modem. Both are full transom boats, but the Whaler Drive model adds the weight of the Whaler Drive. My inference: one of those weights (perhaps both) are inaccurate.

The WHALER 27 inboard model weighs 7.650-lbs. The WHALER 27 FULL CABIN Inboard model weighs 7,950. With that comparison we can figure the FULL CABIN superstructure added about 300-lbs.

I recently updated the REFERENCE section article on SPECIFICATIONS, ALL MODELS to clear up some errors in these several models and their many dimensions.

Many thanks for a kind fellow who wrote to me to call my attention to some inconsistencies in the weights. I reviewed all the sources I could find, and I hope I corrected any errors. If not, a gently worded email to alert me of an error is always appreciated.

With a 10-feet beam, all the WHALER 27 boats are big boats for being towed on a trailer. A WHALER 27 WALKAROUND WHALER DRIVE with outboard engines included as part of the length will be over 31-feet long.

If you are interested in a WHALER 27 FULL CABIN, there is a nice one listed for-sale right now in MARKETPLACE. It is a 1986 boat with a full transom, but instead of the Sea Drives it has the somewhat uncommon GIL brackets. See the listing at

http://continuouswave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6061

Also, I believe that the Whaler Drive was not developed until about c.1987, when it appeared on the new TEMPTATION boats. That suggests that prior to 1987 there were no WHALER 27 models with a Whaler Drive. There were just full transom models for Sea Drives or GIL bracket mounting of outboard engines.

conch

Re: The WHALER 27 Models and hull dimensions

Postby conch » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:27 am

Was the 27 Center Console Cuddy Cabin called an Outrage in the sales literature?

Or, was it just known as the CCC model?

Lightest of all the 27s.

Also the 27s appear to be the only models that do not increase rated horsepower capacity with the addition of Whaler Drive.

Whaler Drive, brackets, or a closed transom not offered for the Offshore 27.

jimh

Re: The WHALER 27 Models and hull dimensions

Postby jimh » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:37 pm

Your inquires about other models than the WHALER 27, WHALER 27 FULL CABIN, and WHALER 27 WALKAROUND are interesting, but not covered in my most recent new research.

Perhaps you can research those models and post a separate article. Here I was just looking at the WHALER 27 models. The three distinct main models of WHALER 27 and their several power options was enough confusion for me.

I realize that same 27-foot hull was made in other model designations. But I have not fully researched any new data, other than what is already in the REFERENCE section.

Regarding hull weights, as I mentioned above, the published hull weights for the 27-foot hull seem to vary depending on what year catalogue they appear in. There is some a sense of ambiguity and perhaps inaccuracy about some of the hull weights published.