Long-distance purchase – Agent?

A conversation among Whalers
jimp

Long-distance purchase – Agent?

Postby jimp » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:53 am

Many discussions here on purchasing a boat from a long-distance away. It usually involves a lot of time, coordination, and money. I’m currently in a unique situation living in Southeast Alaska and looking at a boat in the Seattle area, 1,000 miles away via air (rent a car, motel, etc.). I can’t drive there in under 3-days (1,700 miles one-way). The purchase would include barging the boat from Seattle to Ketchikan costing another $4,000 and then a 2-3 day cruise of 250-miles to Juneau (roughly $750-$1,000 fuel) or barging directly to Juneau for $5,500. I have some knowledgeable friends in the Seattle area, but the boat is located 100-miles north and a bit of a commute.

Is it reasonable to hire the yacht broker as an agent to accomplish a number of things?
Remove gasoline from the boat so the tanks are only ¼ full (required by barge line)
Get the boat to the barge haul-out location, coordinating with the barge line
Remove canvas and stow
Cover instrument console with waterproof covering (I don’t want to get the boat completely shrink wrapped due to one-time expense and waste disposal).

If this happened, what amount of fees may be offered or expected?

Obviously a lot of “trust” would be involved, but I don't have the time for several jaunts to the Pacific Northwest.

Thoughts?

JimP

Binkster

Re: Long-distance purchase – Agent?

Postby Binkster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:20 pm

I think you would have way more invested in the Whaler than its worth. When you live in such a remote area it would be smart to buy a boat that is common to the area. It looks like there is plenty of local help available to give you a hand if needed.

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleitem/ ... 9898/rec/1

jimp

Postby jimp » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:39 pm

Binks -

Exactly my fear.

Confession, she's not a Whaler, but a larger Pursuit for cruising. Not much available around here. Very sad that I missed out on the Whaler 31 only 132-miles away.

cc378

Postby cc378 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:51 pm

So I just sold a Whaler that I had in MA to a gentleman in VA. It took tremendous trust and goodwill on both sides. The buyer was great to work with and I was really careful to honestly describe the boat in words and photos and I priced it fairly. It helped that both of us (seller and buyer) had owned many Whalers over the years. It also helped that my boat was professionally maintained so that they buyer could call the mechanic and get a third party point of view.

The deal worked out really well but I agree that it could have gone of course if either party had not been honest and flexible..

So yes always easier to buy and sell locally but it can work out.. Given what the boat sold for, I can't imagine a broker would have wanted to get involved... you can of course always pay for a survey..

SL

Marko888

Postby Marko888 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:53 pm

I've now made two long distance deals on Whalers, and three on fancy motorcycles.

Trust is paramount. Also knowing what one really wants.

I travelled once per sale to meet the vendor in person and to inspect the boat/bik, then arranged shipping.

Its worked well for me because I'm fussy and got what I wanted. Price wise, I think I did just fine overall.
Mark
1984 Outrage Cuddy 22

JohnZ

Postby JohnZ » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:39 pm

JimP, Is the boat you are looking at on Lopez Is. I only ask because I know IMC has several Pursuits for sale, I live very close to them, and might be able to help. IMC is a very reputable dealer, and I would trust them to prep the boat for shipment (may not be cheap). I also know a Broker that is excellent on Lopez / Anacortes that may be able to advice. If it is on Lopez Is I may be looking at it as i type this (-:
John Z
Lopez Island

jimp

Postby jimp » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am

JohnZ -

Boat was in Friday Harbor... and sold.

Maybe another boat will come along.

Thanks.

JimP

JohnZ

Postby JohnZ » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:39 pm

jimp, another boat always comes along thats the problem (-:
John Z
Lopez Island

macfam

Postby macfam » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:55 am

Good point.
There have been several occasions where boats were sold underneath me. Frustrating!
Yet......every time......I have found better boats...or better deals....it has ALWAYS worked out better.