1983 Outrage 18

A conversation among Whalers
Adunton

1983 Outrage 18

Postby Adunton » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:05 pm

I am new to this forum and new to Boston Whalers. I [may purchase] a 1983 Outrage 18. I read some conversations a bit ago about replacing and repairing damage from wet foam.

I looked at an OUTRAGE 18 today, and there is water in the foam in most all of the access ports. There is even some moss growing on top of the fuel tank level gauge port. The boat hasn't been in the water since c.2005.

I know the center of an OUTRAGE 18 is not a void like many boats with a bilge pump and rear drain hole that drains the bottom of the boat.

[How can I] determine how much water is actually in there?

And, if [there is water in the central fuel tank hull cavity] is that a major concern?

Thank you very much.

Adam

Blackduck

Re: 1983 Outrage 18' New member looking for advice

Postby Blackduck » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:44 pm

There is no way to remove the water from a Boston Whaler boat once it is absorbed by its foam. I would move on to another boat, as this is a major problem for this boat.

jimh

Re: 1983 Outrage 18

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:01 pm

If I understand your narrative, I make the following inferences:

--you looked at a neglected 1983 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 boat left without attention for 11-years outdoors

--you found that in the central cockpit deck, if your remove the circular deck pry-out access plates there was wet foam

The construction of a 1983 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 provides for a central cavity or depression or molded space in the cockpit area into which an aluminum fuel tank is installed. The aluminum fuel tank is mechanically fastened in place, and the remaining space between the fuel tank and the molded hull is then filled with a low-density foam.

It is often seen that water on the deck on a Boston Whaler boat like this OUTRAGE 18 can flow downward from the deck into this central fuel tank cavity and lay atop the tank and the foam surround. It is also seen that the water can migrate into the foam and flow downward, collecting in the bottom of the cavity, creating perpetually wet foam which is in contact with the aluminum fuel tank.

The result of water collecting in the central fuel tank cavity is a slight increase in the hull weight from the retained water, which is usually not particularly significant. The water stops at the gel coat layer of the actual hull. It does not penetrate into the inner hull.

The wet foam, however, can cause corrosion of the aluminum fuel tank, leading to perforations in the tank walls and leaking of fuel from the tank. It is also seen that the plywood reinforcement for the deck molding that covers the fuel tank cavity is affected by the water, and the plywood often rots, losing strength.

Refurbishment of the central fuel tank cavity deck cover, the cavity itself, and replacement of a fuel tank are all major projects. For refurbishment of a deck and cleaning of the cavity, see

Under-deck Repairs On a 1985 OUTRAGE 22
by Jeff Rohlfing

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... store.html

This article shows repairs on a larger boat, but the construction is the same as on an OUTRAGE 18. Review this lengthy, detailed, illustrated, two-part article to gain an appreciation of the project. The article does not show replacement of the fuel tank. This is a separate and similarly arduous task, which is probably going to cost over $1,500.

Returning to your narrative, it is impossible to know the condition of the deck, the cavity, and the fuel tank on the Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18 hull you have described in your narrative. Further investigation is needed.

It is important to realize that presence of some wet foam in the top layer of foam under the central deck that surrounds the fuel tank is by no means any sort of indication of INGRESS OF WATER INTO THE ENTIRE HULL. Advice to abandon all hope for the particular hull in which you found some wet foam on the top of the tank cavity is not necessary bad advice, but it should not be construed to mean the entire hull is wet. Most likely the hull is not wet, and there is just some wet foam around the fuel tank.

As for advice on buying this particular boat, I cannot offer any. Only you have seen it. Only you know how much work you want to put into refurbishment of any defects. Only you know the price range you can pay for an OUTRAGE 18.

You should also know that having water in the foam surrounding the fuel tank is by no means seen on every Boston Whaler boat. It is not unusual to find water in that area, particularly for a neglected hull that has not been used for 11-years. But you can find other boats of similar age without that problem. My personal preference is to buy used Boston Whaler boats that are not big projects. I like to go boating, to enjoy my time on the water, and I do not have the space, the time, or the inclination to undertake major restoration projects.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:12 pm

The only way I know to determine if there is an accumulation of water in the foam surround of the fuel tank in the central cavity of an OUTRAGE boat that penetrates to the bottom of the cavity is by this procedure:

--remove the entire central deck molded section that covers the fuel tank cavity

--bore a hole (very carefully) into the foam at the aft end of the fuel tank cavity, drilling downward until you are close to the bottom of the cavity; you should be able to detect the difference in resistance to the drill by foam and by by the bottom of the cavity;

--orient the boat trailer so water flows toward the stern of the boat

--wait an hour or two

--inspect the bored hole for signs of water accumulating at the bottom of the hole.

Adunton

Postby Adunton » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:38 pm

Jimh, Thank you for the great info. I have very little knowledge of the Boston Whaler type hull.

Can the foam be removed and dried out after removing the center console and the floor over the [fuel] tank?

Also, the boat has a 1983 Mercury 150-HP, and the trailer is in decent condition. What you you guess the boat would be worth if there is not a substantial amount of water in the foam?

The teak wood needs restoration but appears to be in good condition. It has two swivel seats and cushions are said to be in good shape. The front of the V-hull has some minor (I think) chips from what I would consider normal use and docking the boat on a beach.

The motor ran when they stopped using it 11-years ago, but I am mechanically inclined enough to know it will need some serious attention. So, with that being said, what do you think a dry, good running boat of that age would be worth?

Thanks in advance
Adam

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:24 am

Any wet foam you removed will not be reused.

A used boat's condition is the most important factor in its value to me. A project boat is not of interest to me. I'd rather find a boat whose condition was an "8" and start using it, instead of buying a boat that was a "2" and spending three years restoring it. Overcoming 11-years of neglect is going to have a cost, either in time, sweat, or dollars. Thus, for me, the boat under discussion does not have much value--unless it is just dirty. Cleaning up dirt is not very expensive. But major repairs to hull, engine, and trailer will take time and money. I don't think I would even make an offer on this boat, unless I were most certain it was just dirty and could be cleaned and used as-is.

Adunton

Postby Adunton » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Thank you for your honest replies and for sharing your knowledge. It is greatly appreciated.

Adam