Boat for Casco Bay, Maine

A conversation among Whalers
roguewave

Boat for Casco Bay, Maine

Postby roguewave » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:40 pm

Give me a recommendation for a boat for cruising Casco Bay, exploring the coast of Maine, going to restaurants, and possibly angling a bit.

My current idea is to get a new 190 MONTAUK. A new 210 MONTAUK maybe a bit much.

ASIDE: I am selling my GRADY WHITE 282 SAILFISH to get a smaller, single engine boat, on a smaller trailer, that will be easier to store, easier to keep clean, and cost less.

For 17 years I owned a MONTAUK [17] and loved it
..."some gave all, KIA"...

Phil T

Re: Boat for Casco Bay, Maine

Postby Phil T » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:49 pm

Having lived on Casco Bay for more than ten years and transited the waters eight months, March to October, every year, my perspective is that despite the geography and barrier islands, Casco Bay is rarely calm and is frequently crappy. There are short wind-created waves, intermittent ocean swells, confusing wakes from commercial vessels up to 100-feet, and all combined with decent wind speeds.

WhIle I would prefer an Outrage hull, If I had to choose a Montauk hull, it would be the Montauk 210. This is due to its length and heavier weight. I realize this is a $100,000 boat new--but you asked.

If too expensive I would settle on a 190 Montauk.

A used 190 Nantucket or 190 Outrage would be much better. There are a few to choose from having been produced for 17 years with little change to the design.

Hope this helps.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

roguewave

Re: Boat for Casco Bay, Maine

Postby roguewave » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:07 am

PHIL T--thank you.

I am familiar with Casco Bay, Maine. We lived on our trawler at South Port Marine for a few years , and we used the 17 Montauk as our explore-boat. Making runs out to the Dolphin restaurant were common--just know your weather.

I agree the 21 may be the boat but I’m leaning toward the 19. I’m always open to changing my mind.

Either boat fitted out is over $100,000--OUCH.
..."some gave all, KIA"...