Anchor for 15-footer

A conversation among Whalers
beachguysc

Anchor for 15-footer

Postby beachguysc » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:50 am

Recommend an anchor that fits inside the bow locker of a 1987 15-foot Boston Whaler boat. I have been having problems finding an anchor small enough to fit in there that also holds well. My main need for this anchor is around saltwater inlet mouths in South Carolina. The tide and wind can be strong and any anchor I've bought locally that fits in the hatch either cannot hold or bends into a pretzel when it does hold. The bottom is sandy with some rock, and no deeper than 20 to 30-feet. I use a grappling anchor for a secondary or rock anchor, but I would like to find a main anchor that fits in the box. I was considering a Fortress guardian G5 because i know it will fit, but the Fortress Guardian G7 seems to like it will be slightly too long to fit. I do have a large anchor I carry, but I have to leave it out; it bangs around in rough water, and the rope and chain get in the way.

Phil T

Re: Anchor for 15-footer

Postby Phil T » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:43 am

This is a Danforth style anchor. (I had to look it up)

Many members do a slight modification and shorten the thin rods to allow the anchor to fit. Credit for this mod goes to Chuck Triblet,
Lining the anchor locker with Dri-Dek squares protects the locker gelcoat.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:54 am

I use a small plow style anchor. I bought it from Defender. If you're interested check their website. It holds well in sand and mud. Anchoring over oyster beds requires a little more scope but the plow gets the job done for me. It's a steel anchor so bending is unlikely. I use eight feet of stainless steel chain for a catenary. The longish chain is probably excessive as I anchor mostly in shallow water of 20 feet or less.
Butch

jackjax

Postby jackjax » Tue May 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Cheney anchor has small profile. But get one size bigger.
Jude
1997 BW Dauntless 17 115hp Merc

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue May 03, 2016 7:54 pm

I use the locker as a fish box/live well. If you have a bow rail like mine they make a neat stainless steel anchor hanger (Windline PM-1)that clamps right on. Then you can hang any size anchor you wish. As you can see it is handy as well as holds the type-4 life preserver that is required. ImageImage

beachguysc

Postby beachguysc » Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Thank you for all the recommendations. I am probably going to trim the anchor shank about 2 or 3 inches so it can fit in the box, but some people say that affects the anchors ability to grab on the bottom. However, I'm also intrigued by oldslowandugly's idea. I'm actually buying a used bow rail to install this weekend.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Sat May 07, 2016 9:56 am

The main reason I don't use the locker for the anchor is that it is always wet. If the plug is left out, several inches of seawater flood it. If I leave it plugged, it fills to the brim with rainwater. So the only thing I can store there is my bucket of sinkers and the pee pot. The anchor rode chain is wrapped around those rod holders and held tight with a small turnbuckle. The anchor line I keep out of the way in a bucket at the stern.

Simon

Postby Simon » Mon May 16, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks for recommending the stainless steel anchor hanger Windline PM-1. I purchased one after reading this thread, and tested it out this past Sunday in the San Francisco Bay in just crazy afternoon chop. This is one of the best purchases I've made for my 15 Center Console. I bungee'd down the shaft to the area where you tie-down the anchor rode, and [the anchor] didn't move at all.

Simon
1987 15' Sport CC

JohnW

Postby JohnW » Thu May 19, 2016 5:10 pm

You probably know this, but be sure to use a significant length of chain. Some say the chain is more important than the anchor itself. I use a relatively small anchor on my 17, with about 12 feet of chain. This is around Mayport, which experiences significant title flows.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Fri May 20, 2016 9:23 am

Isn't it just the best mount ever? Out of the way, yet handy. After two seasons in salt water I see no rust or corrosion at all on this anchor mount. Nice! That means they used a very good grade of stainless steel, unlike imported junk that rusts immediately.