Engine that gurgles from a former newbie

A conversation among Whalers
cleep1700

Engine that gurgles from a former newbie

Postby cleep1700 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 am

Two years ago I bought my first Whaler, a 15 footer, but had problems with the 50 hp Merc. The motor gurgled and stuttered when I pushed the throttle forward halfway between neutral and wide open. I ask the forum for advice and I wanted to let you know the outcome. Originally I took it to Bass Pro to be worked on, for it was close to my home, and I was a newbie who thought that they would solve the problem. However, the techs there are all very young and clueless about carburated engines....just billed me for outrageously for nothing. Somebody recommended that I find a mechanic who was older than the engine, this one a [1978]. Well, I'm telling you that I did just that and now my Whaler is the boat that I dreamed about. Splashed it yesterday after winter work by my new found genius mechanic and it runs like a top: wot 33 mph by the indicator on my Humminbird and a motor that hums without a hitch. I couldn't be happier! So my advice to fellow newbies...ask for advice on this forum and you will find friends who have the correct answers or can lead you in that direction.

floater

Re: Engine that gurgles from a former newbie

Postby floater » Fri May 06, 2016 8:19 am

Great to hear. Now tell us what the Older Mechanic found to solve the problem. I have the same [problems] with a 2006 Mercury, and I can't solve it.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri May 06, 2016 9:54 am

Bass Pro's Service Department in my area seems to have an outstanding apprentice program. They seem to hire them almost exclusively, keep them until they gain a little experience, then replace them with another apprentice.

Perhaps it's because their pay scale is not aligned with other shops in the area although their prices are certainly right up there with the competition.

I tried them for routine scheduled maintenance services and found them able to complete the work satisfactorily. The completion of the work was about ten days behind the promised date. The Service Manager told me he had lost his two most experienced technicians and was down to two new men just as his busiest time of year was beginning.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri May 06, 2016 11:48 am

The Mercury 50-HP engine from c.1978 is a great engine. I had a c.1976 model. It is a four-cylinder in-line small displacement engine. It runs like a fine Swiss watch--when running properly. They're great engines. They kept Mercury "afloat" in those days. It is the only Mercury engine I ever heard an OMC mechanic say something nice about.

cleep1700

Postby cleep1700 » Fri May 06, 2016 12:31 pm

I should add that this site and Joe's site helped me immensely with advice as this is my first boat. The mechanic found problems in the carbs that had been altered by somebody and configured incorrectly. He ended up replacing them with a new set that he located on ebay. He's a friend of a friend, so I gave him the green light to purchase them. There were adjustments made, and, as I said, the motor just hums now.
Craig in windy Kansas and still a newbie but a little less