New to boating; interested in used Whaler

A conversation among Whalers
STRICO

New to boating; interested in used Whaler

Postby STRICO » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:06 am

I'd appreciate recommendations on good used models and years [of Boston Whaler boats] to consider buying in the $20,000 range. We'll fish around Chatham and Monomoy.

While my husband and I have fished for many years, we haven't owned a boat before. We have a house on the Cape and love fishing for stripers. Now that the seals have moved in, however, it's harder and harder to catch fish from shore. Thanks.

Dutchman

Re: New to boating; interested in used Whaler

Postby Dutchman » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:43 pm

I would recommend 21-footer any Boston Whaler series. For better and calm weather and very near shore a 17-footer like Montauk would suffice you. Good luck in your search.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:02 pm

Read my article:

BUYING A CLASSIC
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/buying.html

Get a MONTAUK 17. It is the best small fishing boat ever made. It has been in production for about 50-years. It is an easy boat to handle. It is easy to trailer on the highway. It is easy to launch from or load onto a trailer. It is an easy boat to care for. It is a very versatile design. Read about it at

The 16/17-foot Hull
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/16-17/

With a $20,000 budget you should be able to find a newer model, called the 170 MONTAUK. Read about it at

2002 170 MONTAUK
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/170Montauk/

There are really no bad model years in Boston Whaler boats. There are only boats that have been neglected or not well cared for.

Avoid buying any MONTAUK boats with a Mercury 90-HP FOURSTROKE engine c.2001 with carburetors. These engines are notorious for fuel system problem with the carburetors. Since you are a new boater, I want to save you the misery of chronic fuel system problems with that engine.

If you are located in Cape Cod, Massachusetts area, there are plenty of Boston Whaler boats around. Visit a dealer to get started. Try NAUSET MARINE. For many years they were the NUMBER ONE Boston Whaler dealer in the world. They are in Orleans.

Don't buy a boat from any salesman at a dealership who:

--is wearing gold chains round his neck;

--has his hair slicked back and heavily oiled;

--is under 50-years-old

cc378

Postby cc378 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:41 pm

In those waters I would NOT recommend the Montauk. It will get really uncomfortable on the rips and in the afternoon SW chop. The Outrage 18, 20, 21 or 22 would all be much better choices. There are several good ones on Craigslist Cape Cod.

This advice is based on 45 years of boating on Nantucket and Vineyard sound... And most of the time spent Striper fishing from various Whalers that I have owned: 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 25.

Stephen

cc378

Postby cc378 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:19 pm

I just remembered, there is a nice condition late 1980s Outrage 20 with late model Honda 150 on a trailer for sale at The Boat Guy in Catuamet that fits your budget. The boats has been well cared for. It is worth exploring.

Happy fishing

Stephen

STRICO

Postby STRICO » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks to all who replied. At least now we can narrow the field a bit. Additional comments are most welcome--I've got a lot of research ahead!

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:45 am

Since you have never owned a boat before, I advice caution in starting your boat ownership with some of the models that have been recommended to you. For example, to begin your outboard boating experience with a 25-foot hull will be quite a jump. I'd recommend starting with a smaller boat, say a 17-footer. With Boston Whaler boat ownership, one can usually buy, use, and sell a nice Boston Whaler boat without losing much money, as long as you invest some effort in caring for the boat and do not cause any damage. If you find you want a bigger boat, you can sell your smaller Boston Whaler and easily upgrade.

As others have noted, larger boats can be more comfortable when used in larger waters and in larger seas than smaller boats. If absolute comfort is your most important criterion, buy the the largest boat you can afford. The ride quality in a seaway with rough seas will generally always be better in a larger boat. Take a look at something like a Boston Whaler 420 OUTRAGE for the most comfortable ride.

STRICO

Postby STRICO » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:05 am

Thank you. All good points. I love receiving these suggestions!

STRICO

Postby STRICO » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:21 am

I know this is a Whaler forum, but this was posted at the closest boatyard to our house in Chatham: 17' Key West 1720 Center Console, with trailer, GPS, compass, trailer, with Yamaha 90 hp. Year: 2008. $13,900. It's at Cataumet Boatyard, but advertised at Outermost Harbor Marina. We could trailer it and keep it in the yard (we have deeded rights to a landing). I like the idea of starting with a smaller boat and working up to something more comfortable. As we're both in good shape, we don't mind some discomfort at this point in our lives--especially if there's a fish on a line! Again, others' thoughts would be appreciated.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:49 am

I don't know if you have read my buying guide. I mention the influence on price of region and time of year. In your case, you are attempting to buy a Boston Whaler boat at the most expensive time of year and in the most expensive region. Expect to pay more at this time of year and in your location. Here is a typical used MONTAUK 17 boat:

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2001- ... 102782833/

Used Boston Whaler boats in good condition and reasonably priced will sell just about instantaneously at this time of year.

STRICO

Postby STRICO » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:57 am

I did read the article, but thank you for the quick reality check.
We'll be here over fall weekends and the winter. . . daydreaming will have to do in the meantime!

fno

Postby fno » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:53 am

There is a huge gap in both price, quality, and sea worthiness between a 17' Boston Whaler and a 17' Key West. Not that a Key West boat can't fish but I'd rather be in a Boston Whaler when the weather turns on you 10 miles away from shore. If your budget is restricted then get the Key West, find out why you should have gotten a Boston Whaler, then get the Boston Whaler.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Re how fast a classic MONTAUK 17 can sell this time of year: check the posting dates on the three posts in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=965