1964 Sakonnet 16 For Sale by Original Owner

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
jimwhaler

1964 Sakonnet 16 For Sale by Original Owner

Postby jimwhaler » Wed May 24, 2017 3:14 pm

BW1 Resized.jpg
BW1 Resized.jpg (172.93 KiB) Viewed 2308 times
16’7” Boston Whaler Sakonnet 1964. Located in Sacramento, CA. Original owner, unbelievable condition and restoration. Asking $7,995. Call Jim @ 916-799-0286 or jagibson@sbcglobal.net

xxx

Boston Whaler Sakonnet, with matching year Little Dude trailer, now offered for sale by the original owner. It is rare to find a Classic Whaler in original condition.

This 1964 Whaler is a Sakonnet Model (made from 1961 to 1978). The Model was the “top of the line”. It is a “luxuriously practical sport fishing machine” according to the manufacturer’s catalog.

Options on this Sakonnet (over the bare Whaler hull) include bow and stern navigation lights; a reversible mahogany pilot seat with cabinets; bow and side platforms; a mahogany center console and wood framed glass windshield; mechanical steering; a single engine lever control; stainless steel bow and side rails; a bronze double bow chock; a fire extinguisher; and a compass.

This Whaler maintains all the above manufacture options. In addition, the boat comes with a canvas mooring cover and canvas bag, along with other miscellaneous boating items.

This Whaler white hull, with blue interior, has been professionally restored, inside and outside. The underside has two new coats of marine bottom, ready for ocean use. Over $3,000 of cosmetic work has recently been performed on the hull.

The boat has an elaborate varnished Philippine Mahogany center console with Morse Controls and cable steering. This boat has beautiful wood components and trim that cannot be economically duplicated today.

This boat (length of 16’7” and beam of 6’2”) was manufactured in Rockland, Massachusetts by Fisher-Pierce Company. The Company was headed by founder Dick Fisher. Famed naval architect, Ray Hunt, helped design the boat.

The Whaler boat was the pride of American Ingenuity. The original Whaler brand has been one of the most honored and storied names in boat building.

The innovative multi keel-styled hull of this Whaler was remarkable for its wonderful lateral stability and seakeeping ability. The boats’ efficient self-bailer could empty water in minutes. A Boston Whaler was cut in two while afloat to emphasize its reserve buoyancy and core construction. The boat has low freeboard which is much desired by practical working boatman and because of this it does not become uncontrollable in a high wind.

The boat has been used recreationally by my family in the Sacramento Delta and the San Francisco Bay. The boat rides the rough chop of the Bay like a contented duck. This boat has been used on lakes, rivers, and the open ocean. It has been a fishing machine; a ski boat, a runabout; a diving platform, and a camper for our family.

My father bought this boat new in Sacramento, California for myself and my three brothers. I was just 16 years old when he purchased this boat and now I am nearly 70 years old. The boat has remained in Sacramento this entire time. This family treasure has been mostly stored indoors on its trailer its entire 50 plus year life.

The vessel has no outboard motor. It was originally fitted with a four cycle Homelite, 55 horsepower outboard motor that was recently sold as it became no longer reliable offshore.

This Whaler is now ready to be repowered with a modern, relatively lightweight, long shaft engine. Possible examples for repowering this vessel include the Evinrude E-TEC 60 or 90; the Yamaha 60; or the Mercury 60. These repower options are light weight enough so that the boat trim will remain balanced after commissioning.

The original Little Dude trailer is the proper trailer fitted for this Whaler. It has three new tires, a new spare tire carrier, new safety chains, and a modern winch. The trailer wheel bearings have been recently replaced and repacked, and the rig is ready to go anywhere you are willing to take it. This boat and trailer are so light that you can tow it with an ordinary car yet have the seagoing capabilities of a 25-foot center console.

The hull identification number of this vessel is CFZ6548C0064-L. The vessel and trailer have current California use registrations (vessel registration current to 12/31/2017 and trailer registration current to 5/21/2022). The vessel and trailer also have valid California ownership documentation (Certificate of Vessel Ownership and Certificate of Trailer Title).

This historic boat and trailer combination after a modern repowering can reliably be enjoyed by several more generations of family. The legendary small boat still draws a crowd wherever it goes. The vessel represents the art of a simple pleasure.

I love this boat and want it to go to a good home. The selling price for this beautiful historic timepiece with known history and provenance is $7,995.

Please call Jim at 916-799-0286, or jagibson@sbcglobal.net, for more information.
Last edited by jimwhaler on Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

underbone

Re: 1964 Sakonnet 16 For Sale by Original Owner

Postby underbone » Thu May 25, 2017 4:41 am

Sounds a well-cared Sakonnet. Curious with the actual conditions on pics.