Appraisal: 1974 Montauk

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
daniel

Appraisal: 1974 Montauk

Postby daniel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi there folks. I'm currently in the market for my first Boston Whaler and I came across this local posting for a 1974 Montauk:
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1974- ... -103037627

It has a 2003 100hp Yamaha 4-stroke engine with 260 hours, and comes with a Loadmaster trailer that appears to be in good condition. The post also states that it runs exceptionally well, but that "Fiberglass hull has wear inside and out as expected being 43 years old". Upon close inspection, the interior floor would appear to have spider cracks around the front cooler. Additionally, the exterior hull paint appears to be chipped on on the rear and on the front V, around the trailer's front roller.

They have it listed for $7500. I tried looking up an appraisal value on NADA Guides, but the oldest year they have for the Montauk is 1976. Using that year, with the appropriate year for the engine, their site suggested an "average retail" price of $6,475.

Do you think the NADA Guides price is fair for this boat? Additionally, would the apparent spider cracks around the cooler scare you off? Would appreciate any help in appraising this boat!

Thanks,

Daniel

Rods&Cones

Re: Appraisal: 1974 Montauk

Postby Rods&Cones » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:55 pm

Nada has no values for classic Whalers, I've always sold mine above Nada pricing, it's the market that dictates classic Whalers. For the cosmetic problems for a boat this age with original gel coat, spider cracks are to be expected. In regards to your boat, the console is not original to the year but is still an original Whaler console & is better approximately mid 90s and earlier, trailer looks clean if newer I'll value it at 2k, the Yammy is the best thing about this boat and it's valued the highest at 3.5-4K. I've had an F100 on a classic Montauk and it's admirable. Super reliable, lots of power for the hull though a wee bit heavy at 356lb but not over whelmingly so. I prefer these carbureted motors since they're so much easier to fix than a fuel injection model. Have you test run the boat? If floats like it should and runs well offer 6.5 and settle in 7.

daniel

Re: Appraisal: 1974 Montauk

Postby daniel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:40 am

Yes, that what I was thinking as well, regarding the trailer and engine. I hadn't test driven it yet, but appears I won't get to -- just heard from the seller that it's sold already. Thanks for your reply though!