FS: 1988 Montauk 17; New Orleans; $16,500

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
Troutslayer

FS: 1988 Montauk 17; New Orleans; $16,500

Postby Troutslayer » Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 am

Hello Gentleman, I am looking to sell my Montauk and also get some advice on my asking price.

For Sale: 1988 Boston Whaler MONTAUK 17 for $16,500, or best offer but I am not desperate. Used lovingly and stored indoors since 2010 and under a shaded cover by original owner before that.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (77.55 KiB) Viewed 3767 times

E-TEC 90 with about 250-hour. Runs like a top. Has always run full synthetic. Best outboard around IMO

I bought the MONTAUK eight years ago and stripped her down to bare hull and compounded and polished the gelcoat inside and out. She still shines.

All stanchions and guardrails were polished and re-installed. Everything was rebedded with 5200.

Fiberglass tank was removed and replaced with 21-gallon aluminum tank.

Three battery box will store up to three batteries up to Group-31 size but Group-27 size is much easier to remove and put back in. Currently there are two flooded-cell deep-cycle batteries for trolling and accessories and one battery for starting. All connected and controlled with Perko selector. There is a Promarine battery charger.

The instrument panel was laser cut from Carbon fiber to fit instruments, battery selector, stainless 12-volt receptacles, circuit breaker switched for bilge pump, livewell, running light, and an accessory.

Steering cable, and Binnacle were replaced in 2012 along with the rest of her refit.

A few years ago I picked up an original casting platform. Teak is great but the gelcoat is not as nice as the rest of the boat.

Seat cushion is brand new from Specialty marine.

The trailer could use some new carpet on the bunks but I after a 2016 bearing failure I replaced the entire axle, both spindles, new tires, and added bearing buddies.

Additional Equipment:

• Minn-Kota Riptide i-pilot trolling motor mounted on quick-release bracket mount
  • Raymarine A50 chartplotter with platinum chart chip for Gulf Coast (if you fish for speckled trout in LA you will find a wealth of data and routes in here)
  • Reverse circulating livewell with oxygen regulator (if you have a connection to fill tanks this is a miracle for keeping bait alive. I can castnet pogies and keep them alive overnight if I want.)
  • Danforth anchor, Aluminum cajun anchor, windsock, basic lifejackets for 3 plus child, flare kit, horn
  • Cover for entire boat
  • Bimini cover in like new condition
  • Extra stainless prop (for a total of two)
  • Rod holders are teak and PVC that I made myself. They look close but are not original
  • I also have the Sheppard hook tube for anyone who wants to replace the custom tube in now which allows the ice chest to open.
  • Solar panel and mounting brackets and trickle charger

I will be taking better photos and this is pre-platform and cushion but you can get a feel for her general condition. I hate to see her go but I just bought my other dream boat, a Allied 30 Seawind Ketch and have to offset some of the cost of bring her into Bristol condition. I appreciate inquiries from interested parties and comments on what else I should do to get the best sale. I am scrubbing her down, oiling the teak, and taking her in for an engine report. I am missing a jamnut on the windshield but I am pretty sure I have a spare to replace it.

I am located in New Orleans, LA and can be reached at 504-427-7202 or at scott@southcoastsolar.com. I will consider delivery depending on distance. My yacht transport may also be able to deliver to the NC area on his way back from New Orleans around the end of May. I am listing here first but it will be on eBay, CL, etc in the next week. The people here were immensely helpful in making her what she is today and I would love to have her go to a loving owner.

Phil T

Re: FS: 1988 Montauk 17 $16,500

Postby Phil T » Wed May 09, 2018 9:33 am

This is not criticism, just advice. Take what you want and dismiss the rest.

The market price for you model, year, condition, OEM features, Engine type and age is significantly less than your asking.

If you want to sell it soon - 9-11K

If you don't mind waiting - 11-12K

For a whaler enthusiast, you may get slightly more. Some buyers want the fishing gear, some will not.

Review the market (craigslist, boattrader etc for the the Southeast and Gulf region for classic Montauk 17's with repower in good condition.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Troutslayer

Postby Troutslayer » Wed May 09, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks for the advice. I figure I would start high and settle to reality. I have also considered removing the gear to sell separately.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed May 09, 2018 11:20 am

Re an appraisal: it is impossible to know the boat's condition except by seeing it in person. If the boat is as nice as described, then it should get a premium price.

Here are some MONTAUK 17 boats that sold on MARKETPLACE--some of them in a matter of days:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3316

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3338

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3034

Troutslayer

Re: FS: 1988 Montauk 17; New Orleans; $16,500

Postby Troutslayer » Fri May 11, 2018 8:16 am

Thanks y'all. I know I am high on my asking price and it will likely go for less. I will post full pics after final detailing this weekend. I appreciate the feedback. I will be back to the Whaler world soon as I am looking for a 13' or 15' I can tow behind the sailboat. I plan to use our sailboat as a homebase out at the barrier islands while doing some wade fishing and taking the new Whaler up in the skinny ponds.

Troutslayer

Re: FS: 1988 Montauk 17; New Orleans; $16,500

Postby Troutslayer » Mon May 14, 2018 11:11 am