Want to Buy Cover for 17 Montauk

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
Landlocked

Want to Buy Cover for 17 Montauk

Postby Landlocked » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 am

My 15 year old Sunbrella cover finally shredded in a storm towing back from vacation Saturday. Looking for a replacement to get me by for a while. Doesn't have to be perfect but would like something in blue that's in good enough shape to be used while towing. Will eventually buy new but suffering from a bit of sticker shock at the moment after visiting overtons and iboats.

1977 Montauk with Bow Rails. I'm located in middle TN but willing to travel a couple hours to pick up or happy to pay whatever is necessary for shipping for the right top.

I know its a long-shot but worth a try.

Chris.

Phil T

Re: Want to Buy Cover for 17 Montauk

Postby Phil T » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Chris -

Consider removing the windshield and tow without.I towed my Montauk and 1st Outrage 17 for 10 years without a cover.

Carver makes decent semi-fitted covers.

https://dealerguide.carvercovers.com/models/2120?searching=both
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Landlocked

Postby Landlocked » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm

No garage. Boat sits covered in the drive year round.

Besides, I need cover for towing to hide 3 paddle boards, beach toys, multiple rods, BBQ grill, tackle, kitchen supplies, Cajun cooker, luggage, and whatever the heck else the family decides to take with us they can't live without for two weeks that won't fit in the Tahoe. Been doing it this way for close to 20 years. I wouldn't know how to vacation without a boat to haul my stuff in. Saturdays disaster was the first time I've had problems in probably 30 + trips back and forth to Florida.

Landlocked

Postby Landlocked » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Funny though, I was typing an email to Boat Covers Direct about a carver top at the time you posted your reply. https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/products/boat_covers/BOSTON_WHALER_75/17_MONTAUK_W-_BOW_RAIL_W-_SIDE_RAILS_2120/
Sent them an email because I was concerned the top they show is for Pre 02 Montauks and I was afraid they wouldn't work for something as old as mine..

Site you sent clearly states 71 - 02 Montauks so that solves that question. Some MSRP's cheaper than Boat Covers Direct for identical tops, some higher but definately more choices. Looks like they link you to several online retailers to actually make the purchase though.

Still interested in a used top if anyone has one but now I have plenty of material to research.

Thank you!
Chris.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:59 pm

When I did trips (i.e. ME to NYC) I strip the boat of all cushions, loose items and put them in the vehicle. I was opposite in terms of toys.

For home storage, I used a lightweight tarp 10x20 in white and bungied the front to the winch post to the back over the motor and to the skeg. Took 10 mins to deploy and breakdown. For the winter I added two custom made tall sawhorses with center beam and added a 12'x22' heavy duty green tarp for the snow loads.

I now have a garage and there isn't any snow here. --I laugh aloud--.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003