Appraisal: 1973 16 BASS BOAT

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
Bfreeman

Appraisal: 1973 16 BASS BOAT

Postby Bfreeman » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:14 am

Appraisal wanted: [what is the value of a 1972 16 BASS BOAT] with a mid-80s Johnson 115, troll motor, depth finders, new trailer tires, and all new wiring?
bass1.jpg
Fig. 1
bass1.jpg (11.04 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

bass2.jpg
Fig. 2
bass2.jpg (29.55 KiB) Viewed 2534 times

I'll be doing some final cleanup on it and posting a complete set of pictures and a listing in the classifieds shortly, but with it being a rare model and very few comparables, I was hoping I could get some guidance on what a reasonable asking price would be. It was a tough decision, but it's finally time to sell my 1973 16 BASS BOAT that I grew up with and has been in our family for over 30-years. It was a fishing and water skiing boat for us; and is well maintained, however with more of a focus on function vs maintaining everything historically accurate and factory original.

Thank you for the help.
-Bobby

jimh

Re: Appraisal: 1973 16 BASS BOAT

Postby jimh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:55 am

BOBBY--I see that no one has responded in a week. Let me then offer a few comments.

I do not infer that the boat being a BASS BOAT model and having the characteristic of being "rare" is necessarily something that adds value. The BASS BOAT model was not sold in large numbers, which probably indicates that this configuration was not as popular as others, notably not as popular as the more "common" center console or MONTAUK configuration. For the configuration as a BASS BOAT model to add value, you will have to attract a buyer who is specifically looking for this configuration, and that person could also be "rare."

The 1973 Boston Whaler catalogue mentions the 16 BASS BOAT as having as standard equipment "Bow and Stern Deck Pedestal Swivel Seats." These seats do not appear in your photographs or in your narrative. Omission of these two items of standard equipment is a deficit in terms of value in the BASS BOAT model.

The boat appears in the photographs to be in good condition, which will be an asset in selling this 46-year-old hull.

The inclusion of a bow-mounted electric trolling motor can add value, but again only to certain buyers who may be interested in angling as the primary use of the boat. Finding a buyer who appreciates the added trolling motor will be necessary in order to realize its value in the sale price.

The lack of any railings, a windshield, and any weather canvas are notably deficiencies compared to many other 16-footers.

The E-Z-Loader trailer is a nice asset, assuming it is in road-ready condition. This certainly adds value.

The c.1985 Johnson V4 two-stroke-power-cycle carburetor 115-HP engine is probably in excess of the maximum power rating for the hull, which I presume would be 100-HP. This older engine is likely a nice engine with the potential to have more years of good performance, but the excess power may not appeal to some buyers.

Older 16-foot hulls can sell for as much as $10,000, but generally they are center console configurations, have railings, have some weather canvas, and would often have newer outboard engines with 100-HP or less. I would anticipate that an initial asking price for the 1973 16 BASS BOAT might be $8,000, and would see what sort of response is generated.