Appraisal: 1989 Eagle Tandem Axel Trailer

For Boston Whaler boats or related gear
moabelite

Appraisal: 1989 Eagle Tandem Axel Trailer

Postby moabelite » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am

Appraisal: what is the value of a 1989 Eagle tandem-axle trailer {of unidentified model] that has been used to haul a 1996 24' Outrage?

1989-Eagle-Trailer.jpg
Fig. 1. A trailer to be appraised for value.
1989-Eagle-Trailer.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 4154 times

jimh

Re: Appraisal: 1989 Eagle Tandem Axel Trailer

Postby jimh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:01 am

From the boat registration it appears the trailer is located in Ontario, Canada. Since the trailer is a painted steel trailer, I presume that the trailer has been used in freshwater exclusively. If the painted steel trailer has been used in saltwater its value would be lower.

If the trailer is in roadworthy condition, has working brakes on both axles and a surge coupler, has tires, wheels, and bearings with just normal wear and no corrosion, and is otherwise not in need of any immediate repair or replacement of any components, I would expect that it could be sold for at least US$1,000. if not more. In Canadian currency that would be about CA$1,250, or more.

In my opinion, the painted steel construction makes the trailer attractive to freshwater boaters. I doubt a saltwater boater would buy it.

Like any asset to be sold, the lower the asking price the more buyers attracted.

I have not recently priced a new trailer of similar size, but I would expect a new trailer would cost more than US$4,000. The replacement cost often has a big influence on selling price of a used trailer.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:19 am

A 32 year old freshwater trailer would have virtually no value to a saltwater boater. If the trailer has any welds they would all be suspect for salt or freshwater use. If I were interested in the trailer because of a bargain price I would insist the paint be removed from the welds and perform a dye penetrant inspection of each. All components need careful inspection. The surge break system master and wheel cylinders, brake drums and shoes and adjusters. Unless the brake fluid was periodically replaced the system is likely to have water in it which causes internal system damage. Hubs and bearings should be carefully inspected. Trailer springs and shackles require close inspection for sag and wear. The light wiring is suspect and unless the trailer has been rewired that should be done. The winch and tongue jack if original are suspect as well. Keel rollers and bunks should be carefully checked.

Given the value of the trailer's cargo and the cost of a new or young used trailer and the work required to ensure the reliability of such an old trailer I would opt for a new or less used trailer for my boat.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:50 pm

I cannot see much detail in Figure 1, but my general experience with EAGLE trailers--made near me and popular--is they generally have all the hull support brackets welded in place. The trailer is more or less custom or unique to the boat that is to be trailered on it. For that reason, the value of this trailer may be reduced because it won't be a proper fit on any random boat. If the trailer bunks ARE able to be moved and adjusted for height, the trailer would have wider appear and have higher value.

moabelite

Postby moabelite » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:09 pm

To close up this thread - I posted the trailer for sale on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist in West Michigan for $1,000 USD. There were 14 inquiries in less than 24 hours. This morning I accepted a deposit of $200 for the trailer site unseen. It will be picked up sometime in May. Full price offer.
Thanks, as always, for the insights.