Live Well Plumbing

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
BarryCuda

Live Well Plumbing

Postby BarryCuda » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:27 pm

[I am] considering adding plumbing to the live well of a 1989 Outrage 22. In place now is a simple Rule pump to remove water. What I want is water IN. It is Important to me that this is NOT a Rule pump fastened on the transom with hose/pipe over transom and into the well. No buckets of water to fill.

I am thinking of using a bronze sea strainer scoop through hull fitting with a small ball valve inside well to free flood the live well. Anyone have any experience in this set-up?

[Does anyone have an] opinion if it would work?

What have others done?

Thank You

jimh

Re: Live Well Plumbing

Postby jimh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:08 am

Boston Whaler OUTRAGE boats could be ordered with an option to have a through-hull water pick-up. This option was a factory-only option, probably because it involved making a rather large hole in the hull near the keel centerline, which could have an effect on the hull strength and integrity.

I suspect that if this option were selected the hull might have been laid up with some additional reinforcement in the area where the through hull would be installed. My speculation is based on the notion that the water pick-up will have to be very tightly clamped to the hull, and this will exert a compression force on the hull at that point. I suggest you contact Boston Whaler customer service and speak to Chuck Bennett or one of the other old-timers there to learn more about what special methods were used when installing a water pick-up strainer-scoop.

In an OUTRAGE 22 hull there typically is already a through-hull drain for the aft cockpit live well. The through-hull is close to the keel centerline. I anticipate that a water pick-up would be installed in that original hole.

When the hull is moving at planing speeds like 25-MPH or more, a strainer-scoop water pick-up on the hull bottom will create a very high water pressure on its shut-off ballcock valve. If the ballcock valve is open, this high pressure will be working on any hoses, pumps, and valves downstream. You must choose those components carefully so they will be able to tolerate the high pressure water coming from the scoop. The high water pressure when the boat is running at speed can overwhelm hoses, fittings, and clamps.

Another consideration in the location of the stainer-scoop through-hull is the effect on trailer loading. You must keep clear of any rollers or bunks.

You might also consider not using a stainer-scoop pick-up. Typically on an OUTRAGE 22, if the through-hull drain in the stern live well is left unplugged, the live well will fill with water to nearly its full depth. You don't really need a pump to get water into it, and you don't need a scoop to force water into it. Seawater will just flow into the live well.

BarryCuda

Postby BarryCuda » Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:15 pm

JimH, thank you for your time and complete thoroughness in your response. Just as I was hoping for, you gave me ideas and cautions I had not thought of.
Kindly, BarryCuda.

BarryCuda

Postby BarryCuda » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:47 am

As my luck would have it, I own one of the few 1989 Outrage 22 center consoles without a through hull in the aft live well to let water IN. Thanks to Jim's detailed comments, I am moving forward on a through-hull sea-strainer scoop with a ball valve to control force, volume, and flow. I will let the port side overflow handle any excess bait well water into the scupper area also with a bilge pump, and a RULE pump to totally empty OUT the bait well itself.
Last edited by BarryCuda on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:05 pm

I am in the process of turning one of my in deck fish boxes into a live well (1999 21 Outrage) . I will post some of my efforts soon.
I did have to replace my original bronze through hull fitting and there did not seem to be any additional material laid up in the hull when I was cleaning it out.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Outrage Puerto Rico

Postby Outrage Puerto Rico » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:36 am

Am also interested in the results,
I have a 20 outrage.
Keep us posted.

BarryCuda

Postby BarryCuda » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:40 pm

No Update Yet.
I am in the middle of a recondition of my 1989 BW Outrage 22' to include a live bait well, and my fiberglass fabricator went into the hospital with a kidney failure. All is on hold, and I hope he holds on. More on live bait well Later. BarryCuda

BarryCuda

Postby BarryCuda » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:07 pm

Long Time No Posting.
The reason I have not updated the reconditioning of my 1989 BW Outrage 22 is because I got ripped off by my Marine fabricator, paint and glass guy, Dustin Stanford of Treasure Coast Customs in Port St Lucie, Fl. Who took my 50% $4,750 upfront deposit and abandoned the project. Finally got my boat back out of his business warehouse. Law Suit filed, trial Feb 27, 17.
Back on to the subject of Live Well Plumbing. Has anyone heard of rigging a live well intake pump fitted to a through hull drain in the aft bilge sumps?? This will allow me to pump sea water into the center bait well. As that center well fills with fresh sea water, then have a 2" pvc pipe drilled through the top inside edge (not hatch lid) of center bait well, going aft and dump into splash well where it drains out through scuppers?!? Now I will also have a bilge pump to totally pump out the center bait well empty. Did I explain that right? Does anyone understand what I am trying to do? I am better at drawing it out. Will it work??? By the way my boat does Not have a drain plug in the center bait well, dah.
Thanks in advance for your wisdom, experience and wise advance.
BarryCuda

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 am

I know nothing about the live wells on classic Boston Whalers. But I'll share a little information on the live well setup on our 190 Montauk.

The live well through hull and clam shell (scoop) intake with it's attached Maralon ball valve and Rule pump are located on the hull center line a few inches forward of the transom. The supply water hose is routed to a valve passing through the live well wall a couple of inches from the top of the live well. The valve can be used to adjust the supply water flow into the live well. The continuous supply of fresh water maintains the oxygen level in the water and keeps the water cool. The supply water pump switch is located on the dash panel. The live well drain hose is routed to the Maralon drain through hull mounted through the transom above the water line. The live well is also equipped with a light which is on when the supply water pump is "ON". The live well comes with a stand pipe which is pushed into the drain to keep water in the live well when in use. The stand pipe length determines the maximum water level in the live well. It has a coarse strainer at the top to prevent the loss of bait through the drain.

We use the live well to keep live shrimp or small bait fish alive for a long day of angling and it functions very well even in Summer heat.

Although our Montauk's live well is located at the transom I believe the set up would work well with a more forward mounted live well.

The live well through hull with scoop, ball valve and pump may be available as an assembly from your Boston Whaler dealer and although a bit pricey may save a lot of effort obtaining and assembling the various pieces from different sources. The same applies to the the drain penetration and stand pipe.

I strongly recommend against draining a live well into the bilge. Discharging the live well to the engine well would require an unnecessarily complicated plumbing or hose run aft and some water could be left in the live well or engine well. You will always have some organic material in the water and if not removed from the boat an unpleasant odor will soon appear. A lesson learned by me was to use the live well bait net to remove all bait before draining the live well. I once had a small shrimp get stuck in the drain hose. After using our garden hose to squirt the little critter out it took several days to eliminate the smell. A covered boat gets pretty hot in our South Alabama Summers.

It's a shame Treasure Coast treated you badly. I hope this project works out well for you. A good live bait well is a great anglers friend.
Last edited by Jefecinco on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Butch

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:03 pm

Barry - I did something which sounds like what you are after.

I have a 1999 21 Outrage with an in deck fish box, long and narrow. My fish box has a drain and reverse scoop on the hull. While at rest, with the plug removed the box will fill about 2/3 to 3/4 with water. Underway the reverse facing scoop creates a low pressure area which then drains the box. Not very useful to keep bait in it.

I have a thru hull in the stern which is for the raw water pump, also has a forward facing scoop strainer. I "Tee'd" off that thru hull. One side goes to raw water pump, one side goes to a bilge-bait well pump. Bilge pump flow into the top of my in deck box. Made an overflow that drains thru the transom.

That transom thru hull is at the water line and the fish box overflow will drain real slow or not at all if one or more people are on the stern. I added a bilge pump about 8" off the bottom of the fish box to force water out.

I added a port to the bottom of the fish box and have that connected to a Whale Gulper diaphragm pump to pump out the fish box.
The Whale pump goes to a tee in the transom drain line.

I also had to add a 1/4 turn valve to the bilge-live well pump to keep water from being forced in under way because of the forward facing scoop.

Make sense?

My set up works well, but in the end was not worth the effort required to achieve it.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:12 pm

Barry, Duane--I got it all wrong. I thought we were discussing an above deck 'live BAIT well" not an in-deck fish box. Sorry for the confusion.
Butch

porthole

Postby porthole » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Don't think it matters Butch. The basics are the same.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

BarryCuda

Postby BarryCuda » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:01 am

What my marine fabricator (Wildfire Marine, Stuart, Fl.) and I have decided to do is to fix a baitwell/bilge pump up to the OEM drain plug hole found in the aft floor scuppers on my 1989 BW Outrage 22. This will be the sea water pick-up for the live well, pumped into floor baitwell box.
From there as the new water rises in the baitwell, there will be an overdlow PVC tube unseen from under the deck through the splashwell dam where the overflow sea water will naturally flow into the splashwell. Then it drains naturally out the two scupper tubs exiting the transom.
To completly empty the baitwell the usual bilge pump set-up is used.

Now to address the loss of the OEM natural drain mentioned from the start; we will have a bilge pump almost always found on theese boats placed in the aft floor scuppers for any water in the boat to be removed overboard.

I think this will do it! Clean and unseen. No additional holes drilled through the bottom of the boat.