2006 Mercury 60-HP FOURSTROKE: Water in Oil

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Mrenuart

2006 Mercury 60-HP FOURSTROKE: Water in Oil

Postby Mrenuart » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:55 am

With a Mercury 60-HP FOURSTORKE ELPT EFI outboard engine, serial number 1c039935, I had been experiencing power loss and rough idle. I took it to the shop and over the last year have replaced a lot of equipment. Here is a quick list:

--all four spark ignition coils,
--all four spark plugs, twice,
--the inline fuel filter,
--the fuel filter,
--the solenoid, and
--thevoltage regulator.

I also:

--added a fuel-water separator filter,
--replaced all fuel lines,
--drained and cleaned the fuel tank,
--replaced all fuel lines in the motor (which were very degraded),
--sent all injectors off to be professionally cleaned and tested,
--serviced the thermostat and gasket, twice.

The thermostat cover was degraded on the inside and needed to be replaced as well.

Now [the c.2006 Mercury 60-HP FOURSTROKE ELPT EFI outboard] runs fine, but water is getting into the oil. There are no visible leaks I can see or find when running. Three times now I have drained, flushed, cleaned, then refilled the oil crank case.

The repair shop said I didn't have loss of compression.

When I run [the c.2006 Mercury 60-HP FOURSTROKE ELPT EFI outboard] on muffs for 15 to 20 minutes, and then check oil, the oil becomes the creamy color that is the tell tale sign of water in the oil.

What are the possible causes for this besides a failure of a head gasket?

Can water get into the motor oil--not gear oil--from the lower unit?

Before having to pull motor apart and replace all gaskets, what do you think the simplest, easiest, least expensive steps are to look at first?

jimh

Re: 2006 Mercury 60-HP FOURSTROKE: Water in Oil

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:34 pm

Do you have an engine temperature gauge? Engine operating temperature may be useful to know in diagnosis of the cause of this problem.

Does the engine temperature reach the recommended operating temperature range when in normal operation?

What are the air and water temperature when you typically run the engine? If you operate in really cold water and cold air, the engine may not be reaching the proper operating temperature.

Usually there can be some moisture in the oil sump, and this moisture is evaporated away when the engine and the oil come to proper operating temperature.

Mrenuart

Postby Mrenuart » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi Jim,

I do not have a temperature gauge installed.

I live in NW Florida, near Pensacola beach. The water temperatures here are typically very mild to warm - 75 to 85 degrees.

I don't believe the motor is having trouble getting to a good operating temperature, nor do I think it is overheating.

goldstem

Postby goldstem » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Water can also be pumped into the oil depending on the design. I had a Suzuki 50 that pumped the water up through the side of the oil sump. The sump, exhaust and water all go through a crowded area. A gasket failed there and the water pump was pushing water straight into the oil sump. This failure was common on a Suzuki. I haven't heard that this is common in the Mercury or Yamaha engine.

JohnZ

Postby JohnZ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:30 pm

I have a Suzuki DF70 four-stoke-power-cycle outboard engine running in Washington State in 50-degree water that started getting water in the oil. In researching the problem I found several articles about stuck thermostats causing the motor to run so cold that condensation formed and contaminated the oil with water. My engine oil looked so bad so quickly after an oil change i could not believe that [a stuck thermostat] was the problem, but [servicing the thermostat] was so easy and cheap to try that I changed the thermostat. When I removed the old [thermostat] it was clear that a deposit of some kind was sticking it open. I replaced the thermostat and have had no sign of water in over 100-hours [Suggesting that the cause of the OP's engine oil problems are due to a stuck thermostat] may be a long shot but [replacement of the thermostat is] easy and cheap to try.

John Z
Lopez Island, Washington
John Z
Lopez Island

Mrenuart

Postby Mrenuart » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:43 pm

Thermostat is definitely worth another try, will be ordering one today.

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:20 pm

I wouldn't believe that it could make enough condensate in 15 or 20 minutes on the muffs to make the oil "creamy". I would think a head gasket or some other gasket isn't sealing.

Mrenuart

Postby Mrenuart » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:54 pm

Thermostat seems to be operating correctly, I dipped it in hot water and it opened right up, did this several times. Very little if any corrosion on thermostat. I was hoping this would be bad--that would have been too easy!

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:47 am

Mrenaurt said compression is "good." What [is considered to be] "good" compression?

Water in oil or milky oil can only be caused [if] a cooling line or [cooling] cavity leak into the oil. [Contamination of the oil with water is] normally caused by a leak in head gasket. Or [a cooling] cavity somewhere in the engine might only open up when up to temperature. Again, check the compression on all cylinders when at temperature.

Do another pressure test on the cooling system to see if pressure gets lost when putting all these lines and cavities in the engine under pressure.

If [the engine cylinders] hold pressure: I've no idea [about the cause of the oil problem].

If [the engine cylinders do] not [hold pressure:] you have a leak. [You] then must find where [the leak is located]. Again, this must be done when engine is at operating temperature.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 am

Generally in an outboard engine the thermostat will be effective at regulating the engine operating temperature at low engine speeds. Testing the thermostat has established that the thermostat worked in the test situation, but we still do not have any data about the engine operating temperature at low and idle speeds when running in the usual sea water environment. I recommend measurement of the engine temperature. This will establish the operating temperature of the engine. It is typical in an outboard engine to have the operating temperature at idle speeds and low speed operation to be in a range of 150-degrees to 190-degrees. We still have no idea of the temperature at which the engine under discussion is operating.

For all we know, it might be running at the sea water temperature of 80-degrees-F.

Before beginning to disassemble the engine to look for a leak in a cooling cavity or in a failed internal gasket, it would be prudent to measure the engine temperature under normal operation at sea.

Mrenuart

Postby Mrenuart » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:19 pm

What instrument would I use to check the temperature?
What location (where) would I take the temperature reading from?

Dutchman

Postby Dutchman » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Mrenuart wrote:What instrument would I use to check the temperature?
What location (where) would I take the temperature reading from?

A nice Fluke digital multi-meter could do the trick available at any good electrical supplier or go to Harbor Freight and get an Infra Red meter and try to shoot(measure) anywhere on the block i.e. at the head and or just below it. The thermocouple models like the Fluke are slightly harder as you must make good contact to the block.
Why not measure close to the T-stat on the block not the T-stat cover.
EJO
"Clumsy Cleat"look up what it means
50th edition 2008 Montauk 150, w/60HP Mercury Bigfoot

wlagarde

Postby wlagarde » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:02 pm

The failure of a head gasket is a common reason for water contaminating the oil in any old engine including cars. I would recommend purchasing a new head gasket and replacing it. You will need a manual with the head bolt torque specifications and a torque wrench. When the head bolts are re-torqued there is a very specific method that should be used (and described in the service manual). Replacement of a head gasket is not a difficult job. But if not addressed, water in the oil will destroy your engine.

Mrenuart

Postby Mrenuart » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:23 am

This is an update to the problem I was having with getting water into the crankcase oil:

The repair shop replaced the power head adaptor plate gaskets, and did not see any visible signs of a water leak in the old gasket. The repair shop also replaced the head gasket, and again saw no visible sign of obvious water leakage. I replaced Thermostat again for good measure. After $2,500 repair bill, I got the boat back and water tested it.

Good news: the water in oil problem seems to be fixed. The bad news: I noticed fuel in water around the engine, so I pulled off the engine cowling and fuel was spraying out from the [vapor separator tank or VST] cooler assembly. I checked the Mercury parts manual, and it looked like a non repairable part, with a replacement cost of $450.

I did some more research from others who had this problem and found that you can pull apart [the vapor separator tank or VST cooler assembly]. There are four O-rings on the top and another four on the bottom you can replace. I replaced these and do not have the leak any more while hooked up to water and muffs. I will be load testing on the water today and don't expect any more problems.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice! 'm happy that it is finally fixed. That being said- I will never own another Mercury product and will be trading this outboard for a different outboard manufacturer as soon as I am able to.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:42 pm

Problems related to the fuel system in all modern outboard engines are generally due to the presence of ethanol in the fuel. I don't think there is a particular special immunity to be obtained by picking a certain brand of engine. All outboard engine fuel systems can be compromised if the fuel contains too much ethanol. Before condemning your Mercury engine for the failure of a rubber component in the fuel system, you should check the fuel being used. If you are using ethanol-gasoline blended fuel, it is common to find the ethanol content can be disproportionately larger than recommended. The best remedy for damage to rubber components in the fuel system is not to be found in changing brands of engine, but by changing fuel suppliers.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:48 pm

barry mccockinya wrote:...I can pretty much guarantee your entire engine block has corroded through and engine is ruined.

If this were true, why would repair of the gasket and seals cause the problem of water in the oil to stop? If the "entire engine block has corroded through" it would seem like you'd have problems just getting combustion in a cylinder. I think your assessment that the "engine is ruined" may be premature.

Leandre Roussel

Postby Leandre Roussel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:26 pm

Looks like I'm having the same problem with the same motor. The dealer diagnosis was that I troll to much with it and the problem is cause by condensation. I don't agree. Many people are trolling with four strokes I the same water as me without that problem. Now its getting worst and no longer under warranty. I reported the problem direct to Mercury when kit was new. They told me it's because the motor was not broken in properly,that the rings were probably not seating proper and that I should run it at full speed for half hour. Which I did,the dealer change the thermostat even though according to them it was OK. I got them to change it anyway. Now it's getting worst. After only 15 hrs the oil level creep up from half way between the hash mark to 1/4 " above the full mark. Thanks Mr Mrenuart for the information you provided. Looks like I'm in for a big repair bill that should have been fix when it was new at Mercury's expense.

wvsargent

Postby wvsargent » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:21 am

I had a problem of water in the oil with a 2003 [Mercury] 60-HP FOURSTROKE BigFoot outboard. I tried many suggestions talked about here, but no luck.

I removed the power head and found that the adapter plate gaskets were corroded and causing a small water leak into the oil sump. I replaced the gaskets and now no more water in the oil. I found out that the new factory replacement adapter plate gaskets had been upgraded to double the thickness by adding two gaskets together.

I believe [the change in thickness of gaskets] was done to stop the effects of the metal expanding due to the changing of engine temperature. Also, I believe that a stuck thermostat would keep the engine cold enough to limit the metal [from] expanding and sealing the adapter plate, but with the double thickness of the new gaskets this problem is also fixed.

To replace these gaskets is not a easy job , but I have found this model engine is a keeper and worth the effort. I have a 15-foot Boston Whaler and I love the combo.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for the information on how the problem of water in the oil for the Mercury 60-HP FOURSTROKE engine was cured by replacement of the gaskets between the power head and the adaptor plate with newer, thicker gaskets. That sounds like a real solution to the problem.