Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Leak

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Jefecinco

Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Leak

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:44 pm

The steering cylinder on our 190 Montauk with a 135 HP L4 Gen 2 Verado engine is leaking through the port side cylinder seal. After checking around I've learned the repair is fairly straightforward and can be done without removing the cylinder from the engine. I would like to make the repair myself.

The problem I'm having is determining exactly what Teleflex cylinder Boston Whaler was installing with the L4 Verados in 2009. The boat's owners manual refers to Baystar Hydraulic steering offered as an option. But, after referring to the Baystar web site it looks like the system installed on our Montauk is a Seastar system. The selling dealer of our Montauk provided a very exhaustive amount of documentation with the boat but nothing on the hydraulic steering. The cylinder has no numbers or letters to indicate a model, only a label saying "Mercury".

To order the correct repair kit I need the model of the cylinder. Your help would be appreciated. I'm not sure if I should contact Mercury or Boston Whaler, thus this query.

Thank you.
Butch

Phil T

Re: Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Leak

Postby Phil T » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:30 pm

I would contact Seastar for assistance.

Have you read this reference article and its links?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/teleflexSeal.html

Note the reference materials on http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/ are pretty extensive.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:40 pm

I am not really familiar with the VERADO steering cylinder, other than having seen one or two. They look like something custom made for the application, not something off the shelf. TeleFlex could very well be the vendor. Since Boston Whaler has great customer service and installed the engine, call them.

Jefecinco

Re: 190 Montauk Hydraulic Steering Cylinder Leak

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks for the leads.

I spoke with Chuck Bennet this morning. He is a very helpful person. There is a Mercury Marine part number for the cylinder, 898349A11, but no seal repair kit has so far been found. The Boston Whaler part number is 1901512.

The closest in appearance and performance non-Mercury cylinder I've found is a Uflex UC128. I suspect this is the OEM relabeled cylinder.

I am continuing to seek a correct part number and source for the seal, or better, a seal repair kit.

Again, your help would be appreciated.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:09 pm

After getting a Mercury part number for the leaking cylinder from Boston Whaler I contacted Mercury Marine Customer Service to get the part number for the seal repair kit or O-ring. I was told Mercury provides no repair parts for the steering system cylinder and the only option is to replace the cylinder. I asked the Service Representative what vendor supplied the steering systems. I was told that information is unavailable.

That was disappointing news. I'm now back almost where I started. My hope is that Uflex can provide the parts I need to repair the cylinder. If not I plan to buy an assortment of O-rings with an inside diameter the same as the diameter of the cylinder ram, and get after the repair. The correct O-ring outside diameter remains a mystery as does the gage of the O-ring so I'll have to determine that when I've removed the end cap from the cylinder.

The retail price of a replacement steering cylinder is over $700 so I have plenty of motivation to find another approach. Mercury's policy seems a bit harsh to me, particularly when Teleflex is prepared to sell repair kits for all of their steering systems.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:39 pm

UFLEX does not have much awareness among recreational boaters as a source of hydraulic steering components, and I think that is because they really don't make much effort to go after the recreational boating aftermarket parts business, but Uflex makes some great stuff. I was at a industry trade show (not open to the boating public) a few years ago. Uflex had a very big exhibit. I was very impressed with their steering products. I would not be surprised that Brunswick uses Uflex as the OEM for their Mercury Marine VERADO steering hydraulic actuator. They seemed to be very serious about making a better product than TeleFlex.

This is a holiday weekend, so you won't be able to get much accomplished until Tuesday. On Tuesday try to contact Uflex in Florida. They may be able to help. Again, they are not really in the retail aftermarket, but you might get in touch with someone in their customer service who will help you out. A customer service guy might be sympathetic to your situation that you don't want to spend $700 retail to replace a Uflex actuator that just needs $30 in O-rings and seals to be like new again.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:31 am

Jim,

Thanks for your help.

I will, again, contact Uflex now that I have almost positively identified the Verado cylinder as their product. I'll have to open the boat cover to take a photograph of the cylinder and email it to the Customer Support Manager, Shasha. I have a sore back from fishing but I'll manage.

Interestingly after too many web searches to count I found a couple of sources for a complete cylinder seal and O-ring kit for the specific cylinder discussed. Both are in Australia??? No US sellers I could find listed the needed parts. Perhaps the Australians have some laws covering service parts. The price is about $54AU or$40US.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:01 pm

1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Phil--yes, thanks. That's a far better price than retail if I end up having to replace the cylinder. While searching around the net I found an old THT post from a man who claimed Uflex offered him a discounted replacement cylinder with about half the price to be refunded upon return of the old cylinder. It ended up costing him about $250.

Masbama--I'm sure those guys could replace the seals in my steering cylinder. The downside is having to remove, ship, and reinstall. If I can lay my hands on the seals I can do the work aboard the boat by removing two nuts and one gland nut while leaving the hoses connected. Aside from cost, the convenience and labor is a lot better than if I have to job the repair out to a shop.
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:33 pm

JEFE--I am discouraged that you have been unable to get an OEM repair kit for a leaking seal in a hydraulic cylinder from Uflex. The only reasonable basis for them not providing this would be that the seals cannot be installed in the field. Did you ever speak with an engineer at Uflex to determine if field replacement is possible? If they won't sell you the parts, but the same parts are sold in Australia, something is not right. Push them harder to provide the repair kit seals at a reasonable cost.

There is also one possibility: since this particular cylinder was made as an OEM part for Brunswick, Uflex might not be able to sell it themselves. You may be forced to go through Brunswick and their Boston Whaler operation or their Mercury Marine operation to get your hands on a repair part. Sometimes OEM arrangements are like that; the actual maker of the part is restricted and cannot sell that part himself, but must only sell it to the OEM.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:54 am

Jim,

I've sent an email to Ulex Customer Support. The Uflex web site is not designed as an aid to owners. It's focus is sales. If I had to guess I'd say their policy not to make parts available is to increase sales of new cylinders but I'm withholding judgement until I have a conversation with them.

I've also queried Teleflex to learn if they have a Seastar "direct piece part replacement" for the Uflex cylinder I have. If I ultimately have to buy a new cylinder I would prefer to own an owner serviceable one.

I am keeping two alternatives in mind If I'm unable to get the seals I need from Uflex. First I will remove the existing seals from the cylinder and take them shopping with me in an attempt to find seals locally that will fit. The most important part is the O-ring and I surely expect to be able to find an exact replacement. I would also replace the wiper seal as a "good maintenance" practice if possible. Second I will remove the cylinder from the boat and take it to a local hydraulic repair shop.

Replacing the cylinder is NOT an acceptable alternative.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:14 pm

"I'm sure those guys could replace the seals in my steering cylinder. The downside is having to remove, ship, and reinstall. If I can lay my hands on the seals I can do the work aboard the boat by removing two nuts and one gland nut while leaving the hoses connected. Aside from cost, the convenience and labor is a lot better than if I have to job the repair out to a shop."

Butch:
Maybe you could call one of these repair folks and they might tell you where to look or send the part themselves.Just a thought.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:43 am

That's an excellent suggestion, thanks.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:50 am

I've ordered what I believe to be the required repair parts. If/when I finish the repairs I'll start a new thread detailing how to repair the supposedly irreparable Verado hydraulic steering cylinder.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:46 am

This project simply goes on and on. Received the parts Thursday and a quick visual indicates they are what is needed. The parts include instructions that say the end cap should be torqued to 134 foot pounds. This will require a socket wrench.

The wrench required is a spanner type with two pins about 1 1/4 inches apart on opposite centers. Finding the socket has been a problem. After searching the net for a half hour with no joy I think I'll go to a local hydraulic repair shop to find source of the wrench. If anyone would care to suggest a source I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
Butch

Masbama

Postby Masbama » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:52 pm

You can try John Fulton at Trotter marine. Great guy.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:26 am

I believe Marine Tech Tools sells the correct wrench, a 32mm spanner socket (similar to a crows foot wrench), for $67 plus shipping. I hate to buy it for one job but I'll have it if other CW members need to borrow it. Before buying I'll call Uflex Support to ensure that's the correct size.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:32 pm

For several reasons it's taken almost six months for me to repair the leaking Mercury branded Uflex UC-128 hydraulic steering cylinder provided on our 190 Montauk with a 135-HP Mercury VERADO L4 engine.

There are several reasons for the delay but this afternoon all the needed planets were aligned so the repair is now done. The first reason was some hand surgery which has taken forever to heal (now only about 80%) and then the Admiral mandated a trip to the beach which stretched out for three months.

Bottom line is I was able to cobble together a tool from Home Depot items which, with a piece of pipe, allowed me to replace the end cap containing the needed seal, wiper and O-ring.

The Montauk now needs a good cleaning and the hydraulic system needs to be topped off and bled. Then we'll go on a test run combined with an angling trip for a couple of neighbors who have been helpful with this project.

Over some of our colder weather I'll write up a "how to" article for those who own Verado I4s with Uflex hydraulic steering. Meanwhile, if anyone has a similar problem start a new thread and I'll provide any information I have.
Butch

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:17 pm

The high here yesterday was 76 degrees so I took the opportunity to bleed the hydraulic cylinder. It went well though like everything I learned a couple of things. Today was more like 78 degrees so I spent a good part of the day cleaning up the 190 Montauk. It needed a good cleaning although I keep it under a fitted cover. The engine well, in particular was really dirty. Hydraulic fluid from the leak along with a lot of airborne pieces from our trees made a real mess.

Next, a test outing.
Butch

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:22 pm

Thanks Butch.

Glad you are on the mend.

Looking forward to the test results.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003