Classic 13: Remote Throttle-Shift Cable Length

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
pcrussell50

Classic 13: Remote Throttle-Shift Cable Length

Postby pcrussell50 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:11 pm

My 1985 Sport 13 with amazing amazing, lightweight 1985 Yamaha 40-HP has finally reached the point where the throttle and shift cables need replacing. According to every source I can find, they are Teleflex CC230xx series cables, where the xx is the length. BUT the shortest length I can find is 10-feet which is waaay too long. I haven't taken off the old ones, yet, but it looks like 6 to 8-foot cables are what I need. Has anyone faced this? What did you do?

--Peter

pcrussell50

Re: Classic 13: Remote Throttle-Shift Cable Length

Postby pcrussell50 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:59 pm

Based on the lack of responses, I'm guessing not too many folks around here have had to re-cable their 80's-era classic 13's. In any event, if anyone cares, I've found the answer to where to get cables for smaller boats that are not too long.

The answer, quoted from the fast outboarding forum:
Go with Seastar xtreme cables 3300. 10-32 threads on both ends. Sizes start at 6'

And the good news is, they are higher quality than their more common garden variety cables, not that such quality is needed on a small, light duty boat, operating within its prescribed horsepower, in my case, 40hp on a classic 13. http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/controls-and-cables/control-cables-and-accessories/xtreme-cables/

-Peter

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:26 am

Very good information. Thanks for finding that and posting.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:49 pm

It was a holiday weekend so I guess most guys were busy boating. Anyway, when you measure, don't forget to leave a large loop at the motor. Otherwise as the motor swings it will stress the cable. My 15 footer ended up needing 15 foot cables.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:31 pm

To wrap this up, cables received and installed, and working great. Installed by mechanic in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico. When I brought him the cables, he instantly recognized them as "heavy duty", presumably because they are Teleflex's Xtreme series, even though I did not have them in the boxes, since I had coiled them up in my suitcase.

Useful info: Even though the cables appear a wee bit thicker than the skinny stockers, Teleflex claims that they can be coiled into roughly TWICE as tight a radius as the "regular" cables.

Useful info for classic 13 owners: 8' is the right length.

Speculation for classic 13 owners: I'm not sure these boats really need the "heavy duty" cables for such a simple and light duty application, but Teleflex does not seem to offer their standard duty cables any shorter than 10 feet, and 8 is more than enough, including the loop to allow for full steering and tilting. The good news is, the heavy duty cables are only about $10 more per cable than the standard duty ones, (depending on how carefully you shop, as I found prices varied widely).

-Peter