Fitting Out 130 SPORT for In-shore Trolling

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Ronhawaii

Fitting Out 130 SPORT for In-shore Trolling

Postby Ronhawaii » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:13 pm

I need advice on a way to outfit [a 2005 130 SPORT] for in-shore trolling. I hope someone has [outfitted a 130 SPORT for] poling around flats.

[Aboard] would be me, sometimes one friend, and, on some rare occasions, my wife and four-year-old son.

I will be smart and keep to the protected bays, lagoons, and--if safe conditions--go one or two miles from shore.

Has anyone used [a 2005 Boston Whaler 130 SPORT] to float over flats?

Here in Hawaii there are some coral heads that can pop up.

[Give advice] on trolling the insides with the amount of people I have coming with me.

[Give advice on] how to make the boat safer.

[Does a 130 SPORT need] need a bilge [pump]?

Do I need [a fuel-water separating] filter?

[I am] worried about the freeboard with kid and the stability [of the Boston Whaler 130 SPORT].

I will buy an EPIRB.

I will have short wave.

I will have all safety basics.

Some here in Hawaii will say [adding an EPIRB, a short wave radio, and all basic safety equipment is excessive] since I'll be able to see cars on the street and be only less than mile from shore and amongst busy boating area.

[Give your] thoughts on the 2005 130 SPORT and its hull compared to the older classics.

Is [a 2005 Boston Whaler 130 SPORT] a smoother ride [than the older classic Boston Whaler 13-foot boats]?

Give me advice on a just-purchased 2005 130 SPORT with Mercury 40-HP FOURSTROKE EFI.

I am handcuffed by my parking spot on property. This [boat] fits perfectly. A 15-foot boat would be very tight.

I [decided] on a good deal--for Hawaii at least.

Thanks to you all.

jimh

Re: Fitting Out 130 SPORT for In-shore Trolling

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:04 am

Quoting Wikipedia:

Shortwave radio is radio transmission using shortwave frequencies, generally 1.6–30 MHz, just above the medium wave AM broadcast band.

I don't see any reason to install a short wave radio transmitter on your 130 SPORT. First, you would need an FCC ship station license for a short wave transmitter. It would be almost impossible to install an effective short-wave antenna on a 13-foot boat. And I don't know of any type-accepted short wave transmitter that could tolerate being completely exposed to the sea and weather on a 13-foot boat. Also, the batteries needed to operate the radio would occupy too much room in the boat.

I think you probably would be best served by having a VHF Marine Band radio, if you choose to equip your boat with a radio.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:40 am

Outboard engines that run from small-volume portable fuel tanks, like a 6-gallon plastic on-deck fuel tank, generally do not require use of a fuel-water separating filter because it is presumed that the fuel will be purchased on the highway at highway fueling stations, will be free of water contamination, and--with modern on-deck fuel tanks that are EPA compliant--the fuel tank will not be vented to the atmosphere, preventing it from acquiring moisture due to diurnal temperature changes.

I infer that you are in Hawaii, a tropical location. Check with other boaters who use small-volume on-deck fuel tanks in your region to learn from their experiences.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:23 am

I had configured a 130 Sport for in-shore fishing on the flats of Florida.

Here is a link to the old forum that shows the list of what I had installed:
http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/014255.html

Here is a link to all the pictures:
http://s166.photobucket.com/user/josephp732/slideshow/130%20Sport?sort=3

I did add both a bilge pump and fuel-water separator. I also recommend a GPS and Sonar device so you can track the bottom. The four-blade Mercury Trophy Sport propeller really helped hold the boat on plane at slower speeds. Of course you'll need a lot of rod holders ;)
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:01 am

RIDGE--your 130 SPORT is really tricked-out. I love what you've done.

Ronhawaii

Postby Ronhawaii » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have a handheld vhf radio. Made the mistake on short wave.

Ridge, nice boat. I ordered the stainless steel rod holders (2) and plan on similar rod holders behind seats if it doesn't impeded too much with biminy. Like the steering wheel. Are you able to stand up and steer?

Does any pole with that hull? Is a 6' pole long enough?

With good weather I am hoping to troll around 2 miles out.

Thanks for advice on fuel/water filter. I'll ask around.

R