1999 Conquest 23 Preventive Maintance

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
StormWarning

1999 Conquest 23 Preventive Maintance

Postby StormWarning » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:00 pm

I have owned my 1999 Nonquest 23 for two years now. It has twin 135-HP Mercury OptiMax engines and has been a great boat. It was used in northern Lake Michigan its whole life and stored in the water five months a year. It has bottom paint.

Everything to me looks good. There are a lot of plastic fittings on the back and I'm wondering if I should start replacing them. I would rather replace before I have a problem but I don't want to go overboard.

Any ideas on what should be replaced or resealed?

I am noticing spider cracking in the motor well back by the motors. Also, some on top of the cuddy where the hardtop connects. I can grind out and re-gel coat, but I am horrible at matching colors; it never matches when I have done it in the past.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome. I typically buy a boat, use it for a while, and sell it to move to something else, but this boat I have grown very fond of and will likely be keeping it a while. Maybe even a re-power in the future.
Attachments
RV Boat.jpg
RV Boat.jpg (89.86 KiB) Viewed 5040 times

Jefecinco

Re: 1999 Conquest Preventive Maintance

Postby Jefecinco » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Everything on a Boston Whaler that came from the factory as part of the boat is pretty reliable. I would not replace anything based on age. The plastic parts you mention are worth watching. If they begin cracking or yellowing then it would be prudent to replace them.

Spider cracks are best left alone. You can do a search on the site and find a lot of threads on the subject. The best preventive maintenance for the gel coat is to treat it with care, wax it often and cover it when it's not in use. As your Conquest is a 23 foot boat it is trailerable. It is far easier to keep a boat in excellent condition if it is kept on a trailer and covered with a good quality storage or towing cover.

Things like bilge pumps simply need to be watched and tested. Keep the bilges clean and free of debris that could interfere with pump operation. Any other pumps on the boat should be exercised and tested each time the boat is used.

The Optimax engines will have a preventive maintenance table of their own in the engine owners manual. If you have an anchor winch that will require some periodic attention. Any refrigerator should be kept clean and aired when not in use.

Electronics are a whole other subject. I'll leave it to others to advise on those.

If you have a trailer it will require a fair amount of periodic maintenance beginning with the tires. Keep them properly inflated and balanced. Replace them at 5 to 7 year intervals. Wheel bearings, breaks, lights and winches will require attention and close inspection.

Enjoy the boat. Maintenance is part of the pleasure of ownership.
Butch

StormWarning

Re: 1999 Conquest 23 Preventive Maintance

Postby StormWarning » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess will just leave [something not desribed] alone. I do have to find a better place to get the O-rings for the plastic bilge plug. I ordered two new ones and both have dry rotted in less then a year. Probably just old stock I guess.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Is the plastic bilge plug you refer to the hull drain plug located at the aft bottom of the hull? It's often referred to as the garboard drain plug. If yours is the threaded screw in type it may use a rubber gasket or an O-ring. Mine uses a rubber gasket. It does not need to be tightened too much. Finger tight works on mine.
Butch

StormWarning

Postby StormWarning » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Yes it is the garboard plug. When I got the boat It had a O-ring. Then I called a [Boston Whaler boat] dealer and ordered 2 n. w plugs with gaskets. They were also O-rings. I just think the O-rings were probably old.

My plug has a slot in it that fits a Quarter perfectly, and I use a Quarter to tighten it.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:38 pm

That's exactly what I had on my 1999 Dauntless 16. My 2009 190 Montauk has a similar screw-in plug but it has a small handle or grip and the flat gasket. Some older Ace Hardware stores have a selection of O-rings. If you take your drain plug with you an O-ring with a good fit may be available for a few cents.
Butch

Mambo Minnow

Postby Mambo Minnow » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:26 pm

I am watching those 4 scuppers on my transom closely. The outer plastic rim disintegrated from UV light, but the scuppers themselves are still in good shape. I am told the original parts are no longer available, but when I replace I'd prefer stainless or brass over plastic.