2014 210 Dauntless: Using Smaller Trim Tabs

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Atom

2014 210 Dauntless: Using Smaller Trim Tabs

Postby Atom » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:09 pm

I have been toying with the idea of adding trim tabs to my 2014 210 Dauntless. There isn't a lot of room on the stern particularly on the starboard side with the swim ladder. In communicating with LENCO and providing some pictures, they recommended I get the space saver tabs. Those tabs are only 12" x 4". I don't know that I will actually do this.

Has anyone had any experience with the smaller LENCO 12 x 4 trim tabs on a Boston Whaler c.2014 210 DAUNTLESS boat?
Jim

jimh

Re: 2014 210 Dauntless: Using Smaller Trim Tabs

Postby jimh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:01 am

I don't see any LENCO trim tabs with the name "space saver". Perhaps you are asking about the LENCO LIMITED SPACE TRIM TAB KITS. Compare at

http://www.lencomarine.com/index.php/pr ... ited-space

If there was a factory option for trim tabs on that 2014 210 DAUNTLESS, inquire with Boston Whaler customer service about what brand, model, and size was used.

For some general advice--not specifically for your particular hull--see the REFERENCE article on TRIM TAB INSTALLATION at

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... mTabs.html

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:46 am

Depending on the purpose of trim tabs on a boat a smaller size may be appropriate. Trim tabs seem to be most useful for adjusting port to starboard trim while on plane, particularly with people moving around the boat or side winds affecting trim. With true deep "V" hulls which are more "tender" than the modified or semi- "V" hull of your Dauntless trim tabs are almost a necessity. Trim tabs are also useful for adjusting the fore and aft attitude of hulls while on plane. This may be a less useful feature on outboard engine powered boats because the fore and aft attitude is easily adjusted with engine trim adjustments. For under powered boats trim tabs can be helpful for getting on plane more quickly. Getting on plane more quickly can also be improved by ensuring an appropriate propeller and engine mounting height has been selected.

What features of trim tabs are you hoping to use?
Butch

Atom

Postby Atom » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:36 am

jimh wrote:I don't see any LENCO trim tabs with the name "space saver". Perhaps you are asking about the LENCO LIMITED SPACE TRIM TAB KITS.

Thanks Jim - you are correct the linked TRIM TABS are the ones they were talking about; that is, the model called Limited Space. I looked at the 2013 200 Dauntless schematic which is on-line; the option showed the 12" x 4" trim tabs.
Jim

Atom

Postby Atom » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:43 am

Jefecinco wrote:Depending on the purpose of trim tabs on a boat a smaller size may be appropriate. Trim tabs seem to be most useful for adjusting port to starboard trim while on plane, particularly with people moving around the boat or side winds affecting trim. With true deep "V" hulls which are more "tender" than the modified or semi- "V" hull of your Dauntless trim tabs are almost a necessity. Trim tabs are also useful for adjusting the fore and aft attitude of hulls while on plane. This may be a less useful feature on outboard engine powered boats because the fore and aft attitude is easily adjusted with engine trim adjustments. For under powered boats trim tabs can be helpful for getting on plane more quickly. Getting on plane more quickly can also be improved by ensuring an appropriate propeller and engine mounting height has been selected.

What features of trim tabs are you hoping to use.

All good points and some of the reasons I am not sure I want to do the tabs at all. The motor is the 200 Verado so it doesn't struggle to get on plane at all. I am sure they would be of some benefit but I'm not sure how much. Then again I have never had trim tabs so my knowledge is limited.

Thanks for the input guys!

Jim
Jim

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:50 am

Atom--I recommend you give the trim tabs a pass until you're sure they will be useful. They are not cheap to buy and install, and they require maintenance. If you decide to install tabs I recommend you look into Bennet electric tabs. I believe they have the Bolt line. Bennet customer service and reliability are excellent. Lenco may also be excellent but they have yet to establish a widely established reputation as such.
Butch