Rochester Gauge and New Fuel Tank 18 Outrage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Spinnaker

Rochester Gauge and New Fuel Tank 18 Outrage

Postby Spinnaker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:12 pm

I am considering purchasing a 1989 Outrage 18 that has already had its fuel tank replaced with a new tank from Florida Marine, the original manufacturer for BW's internal fuel tanks. I have read somewhere that the new tanks (model 63B) do not have the same length collar as the original tanks (model 63A) upon which to mount the mechanical Rochester fuel level gauge so it's flush with the underside of the see-through deck plate. Aside from my obsession with everything OEM, I like the original gauge because I view it as more reliable than an electronic gauge.

I spoke yesterday with a Florida Marine rep to inquire whether the new tank would work with the original Rochester gauge and she confirmed my understanding. Florida Marine now only supplies electronic gauges. She did mention that a company called E-Components in Pennsylvania might manufacture/distribute a gauge that would work as the original did, and might have a dual electronic/mechanical gauge that would also work plus provide some redundancy. I suspect some of you have run into this problem before. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions re: obtaining a mechanical gauge that will work with Florida Marine's new tank? Many thanks in advance.

Phil T

Re: Rochester Gauge and New Fuel Tank 18 Outrage

Postby Phil T » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:04 pm

http://www.e-components.net has long been the source for replacement direct read mechanical and remote gauges and senders.

I think it is going to take someone actually trying a e-components direct read gauge with a newly designed tank from FMT.

(just for consistency)
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Spinnaker

Re: Rochester Gauge and New Fuel Tank 18 Outrage

Postby Spinnaker » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks for the helpful response, Phil. Hopefully, that person will soon be me. If so, I will report my results here.