All-round Lamp Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
shinchan

All-round Lamp Replacement

Postby shinchan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:41 pm

I had a friend inadvertently put a cooler on top of my dismounted all-round lamp and sat on it. The plastic globe and lightbulb smashed and bent the tube. I'd like to get a replacement, but I don't know which company made this for Boston Whaler. There are no markings of any kind on the lamp. What brand can replace this? Perko? Attwood? Shoreline Marine? The lamp is from a 2011 130 Super Sport.

contender

Re: All around light replacement?

Postby contender » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:22 pm

[The risk that a friend will put a cooler on the lamp and then sit on the cooler] is why I mount [a navigation lamp] to my engine cowling, I never have to take off [the navigation lamp], it is out of the way, and it is always connected.

If you are looking for an original good luck. Maybe you'll find one on eBay.

I use a 360 led (no power usage) for about $16. I think mine is only 220-degrees so when you look back you are not looking into the light.

jimh

Re: All-round Lamp Replacement

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:03 am

Brunswick owns Attwood, so there is a good probability that they used an Attwood lamp. Just call Boston Whaler customer service and ask them what lamp was used in 2011 on your 130 SUPER SPORT. Or, call TWIN CITIES MARINE, and order a replacement.

Mounting an all-round lamp atop the outboard engine cowling is a terrible suggestion. The height of the all-round lamp must be 1-meter higher than the sidelight lamps. This is rather hard to achieve on most boats when the all-round lamp is mounted to the engine cowling. One-meter below the top of the cowling is quite close to the waterline on most small outboard boats. Further, one cannot have an all-round lamp that only displays for 220-degrees. I am not sure if further explanation is needed on that point. Making a hole in an engine cowling is really dumb. The engine cowling probably cost $500 to replace. Then there is the problem of running the wiring. If you ever want to remove the cowling to work on the engine, you will need to make the circuit have a connector. Then there is the problem of keeping all that wiring out of the engine's moving components. Please ignore the suggestion to mount the lamp to the engine cowling. An engine mounted all-round lamp does not create a legal navigation light, ruins the engine cowling, and creates wiring problems. Just get the OEM replacement. It is probably less than $50.

shinchan

Re: All-round Lamp Replacement

Postby shinchan » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:21 am

Thank you for the advice Jim, I just wanted to replace the part that was there before so I will call Boston Whaler customer service and see what they recommend.