230 Outrage Appraisal

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Timh

230 Outrage Appraisal

Postby Timh » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:50 am

Hi all! It has been several years since I last had the opportunity to be on this site. I have always trusted the members here on advice due to the amount of expertise and dedication to Classic as well as newer BW's.

Today, I am in need of advice on a whaler I have found. No money has changed hands at this time because I don't know what a fair price would be.
To start the boat is a 2000 Outrage 230. This boat has been sitting for 3 years on its trailer with the rear plug in. (No cover) The boat is level full of rain water to the underside of the floor. When I opened the console I found it has mildewed bad. About an inch or two of pine straw covers the floor of the boat. While the outside of the boat looks okay I have a number of concerns about overall structure with all the water. I'm sure the fuel tank will need to be drained, new batteries, possibly rewiring to some degree, etc..., then there is engine concerns. Boat needs to be at at shop for a complete once over on engine and electronics. With this being said what advice would you give on overall structure.

While I have not made any deal on this boat I have seen other BW same size, year, power, I am seeing a price of around 25k in good condition.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Jefecinco

Re: Much needed advice

Postby Jefecinco » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:58 am

Tim,

Depending upon where the boat has been stored it could have suffered damage due to freezing water expansion. In the Deep South perhaps not a problem but farther North would be a concern. I believe a professional survey is called for. The engine should be inspected and, at least, tank tested while on the computer. Perhaps the engine test should be conducted before paying for a professional survey. If the engine requires repairs it may not be the boat you want.
Butch

Timh

Postby Timh » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:50 pm

That is the advice I am looking. The envinrude 250 may need more than I'm willing to get into. As for location, I am in NC and the past two winters haven't been really that bad but there still has been times with freezing temps, thus freezing water. I did take the rear plug out yesterday to drain the boat. Lots of questions to be answered. I guess a good professional survey would help a lot.
Tim

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:27 pm

I think a survey will pay for itself
Check the engine. 2000 was part of the end of OMC and the transfer to Bombardier.
Water weight is 8 lbs a gallon.the amount in the bilge may not be a problem; however, the maximum amount that has been in the boat at one time is an unknown. Look at the bottom for deformations from that weight. The surveyer will look, and should be told of the water retention problem.
At least you may be comfortable referring to the boat as She.

jimh

Re: 230 Outrage Appraisal

Postby jimh » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:33 am

A boat sitting with a lot of rain water in the cockpit will be a big chore to clean up. There is probably mildew everywhere that will need to scrubbed thoroughly. Then there is the concern for all rigging that has been sitting in that water. Any offer to buy this damaged boat should reflect the amount of money in time, labor, and future repairs that will be necessary to correct the huge mistake made by the seller in letting that water accumulate. Were it me, I'd look for another boat to buy. I like to avoid problems, not buy them.

Timh

Postby Timh » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:02 am

This is great information guys! Its hard to believe someone would allow a BW or any boat to get into this condition. But there are the few! I do agree, I don't like buying problems however; if the overall cost reflects the damage (if any), cost of complete cleanup and getting back to where it should be, and finally the engine checks out, then it might be worth entertaining! It will have to be a admirable price for me to consider.
Tim

Timh

Postby Timh » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:14 am

View of console:
Attachments
20160730_114306BW.jpg
20160730_114306BW.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 6492 times

porthole

Postby porthole » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Timh wrote:This is great information guys! Its hard to believe someone would allow a BW or any boat to get into this condition. But there are the few! I do agree, I don't like buying problems however; if the overall cost reflects the damage (if any), cost of complete cleanup and getting back to where it should be, and finally the engine checks out, then it might be worth entertaining! It will have to be a admirable price for me to consider.
Tim

If you are inclined to not like problems, I would walk away.
If you don't mind project boats and don't mind possibly a year of work, make an offer.
Given what you posted, plus the unknowns, my thinking would be based on a dead outboard and all rigging and wiring replaced and the potential for water logged decks and foam and a bad fuel tank.

The NADA book values for Whalers in decent condition tend to be undervalued by 50-100%
Based on your description, I might be inclined to make an offer at 50% of the NADA value, minus the outboard, $6-8000, might.
I like that hull, size and tower and I don't mind projects. If the hull looks good to a surveyor I would make an initial low ball of $5000

If you have to replace the outboard you are looking at potentially 18-20K
Figure on $1,000 or so to bring the trailer up to specs and anywhere from $2,000 and up to bring the boat back to decent condition. A fuel tank problem could cost you $2,000 by itself.

If you could buy it for $5,000, put $20,000 into a new outboard and the rigging, maybe $5,000 more in repairs you are ahead in the game compared to people who pay book value, then a new outboard.
Thanks,
Duane
2016 World Cat 230DC
1999 Outrage 21, Yamaha SW Series II 200
1997 Outrage 18, Yamaha 125
1983 15 SS, Honda 50
1980 42 Post
1983 34 Luhrs 340 SF

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:52 am

Boston Whaler boats are resilient, and that one could be cleaned up. For me, boating is something you do out on the water. Boating is not spending a thousand hours cleaning up a mess.

Apogee

Postby Apogee » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:24 am

i owned a 2002 [perhaps meant OUTRAGE] 230 that sat full of water. The purchase price was $25,000. [Later after all the renovations that are described in great detail below} I sold it, and it was like pulling teeth to get $41,000.

[The boat that was bought, renovated and sold] had a single 225 Opti and was full of mildew. I re-upholstered the seats and bolsters and that cost me $4,000. Boston Whaler wanted three times that much. I had a lot of wiring to do, and cost me untold hours of cutting, soldering and figuring out where to place things and probably $1,000 in stuff like connectors, buss bars, fuse panels, etc. Then there were the pumps, wash down, bilge, sump, bait,and fresh water. I had to replace all of the old hoses and switches and two deep cycle batteries $1,400 plus the work. Then there was the trim tab switch, trim tab power unit and reservoir. I had to replace the SeaStar steering pump and ram. I spoke with Bennet in Florida and he recommended the larger 12-inch tabs so I went with it. Another $1,000. Then there was the electronics, HDS-8 gen 2, Smart Steer A/P, 4G Broad Band Radar, Structure Scan, 50/200 X-ducer, Two Standard Horizon VHF's, twin 9 dB Pacific antennas with proprietary mounts, PA Horn, external VHF speaker, Clarion AM/FM with JBL amp and 10 S/W, convert all lights to LED, add LED spreader lighting in four directions, under gunwale lights, transom underwater lights and all of the time to do all of this work another $10K. Then there was the engine. Sold the Opti with 900 hours XXL 30-inch shaft for $4,800 with harnesses, Oil tank, gauges, throttle quadrant--he works. Then I purchased a new F300 and by the time it was all over $27,000 Do we want to talk about the trailer yet, or the elbow grease and pulling of deckplate to refasten fuel tank, on and on and on. I finally got it to turn key and super sea worthy and ran it until I had 275 hours on the new F300 (about two years) and figured out that when I was 60-70 miles offshore that at the end of the day, I had to come home because there was little area to lay down and go to sleep, totally exposed. Everybody talks a good story but when it comes down to buying something what you have for sale is not worth much, but if you have to buy something, it costs a fortune. I remained undaunted and bought a beat up 1999 [perhaps meant OUTRAGE] 28 and I am refitting now for my last Whaler. The hull is beat up with gel coat cracks all over the place but nothing structural. I started in on this one with the $41,000 I got for the 230. It all starts over again.