210 Montauk Navigation Lamp Pole Wobble

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
ghwillis

210 Montauk Navigation Lamp Pole Wobble

Postby ghwillis » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:32 pm

The all-round lamp on the Montauk 210 is on a removable pole which plugs into the console and extends about 30-inches high. When running at night the pole has some wobble from the wind. Maybe the wobble is not an concern, but the pole seems a little flimsy given the rest of the boat is well-built.

Is there any reason not to fabricate a brace or bracket to steady the pole against the stainless railing around the top of the windshield? Maybe using some rubber pole storage mounts to clip onto the pole and to the railing with a block of wood in between.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks

jimh

Re: 210 Montauk Navigation Lamp Pole Wobble

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:41 am

What is the distance of the gap between the navigation lamp pole and the windshield frame when the navigation lamp pole is deployed?

Your idea to use a pole lamp storage clip sounds workable. In keeping with the no-wood theme of the 210 MONTAUK, perhaps you would use KING Starboard for the connecting piece from the clip to the frame of the windshield.

Another idea: use a short bungie cord to put tension onto the pole from the frame, connecting to the same fitting that the straps from the Bimini top use.

A third idea: avoid making some sort of permanent installation of gear to the frame around the windshield. This gear will be visible all the time and may become a hazard when the helmsman leans forward. Instead, attach some gear or fitting to the lamp pole permanently. This fitting will then stay with the lamp and be removed when the lamp is removed. The lamp fitting would attach to the windshield railing in a temporary manner, perhaps using Velcro. In this way when the navigation lamp is not deployed, there will be very minimal change in the gear at the helm.

Also, you should call Boston Whaler customer service and discuss the poor fitment of the navigation lamp pole. Boston Whaler generally is interested in getting comments from owners about their boats. They should be open to discussing this problem. They may have a better remedy. Even if they do not have an immediate remedy, they probably will log your comments for future consideration in changing the design of the navigation lamp.
Attachments
poleLampStorageClamp.jpg
poleLampStorageClamp.jpg (7.68 KiB) Viewed 2993 times

ghwillis

Postby ghwillis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:05 am

Some great ideas. The picture of the rubber clips are exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking I would use 3 of them, 1 against the pole and 2 on the SShand rail around the windshield. Slip on and off as needed. Nothing permanent. I may try the Velcro straps and a short piece of tube (pvc) as I have all the materials at hand.

I have to measure the distance but it is about 2"- 3"

Thanks, George

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:02 pm

I like your idea of using the rubber clips on both ends. That eliminates anything permanent in place when the lamp pole is stowed.