Assess Hull Damage

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
notoriousjje

Assess Hull Damage

Postby notoriousjje » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Just left a deposit on a c.1980 Outrage 18. I did not like [the damage to the hull shown below] at all. It's in the bow below the waterline. Apparently the guy hit something. The damage looks like it has been there a while. How bad could this damage be? [The hull] probably has some water intrusion. [Is there] anyway of checking [the hull for water intrusion]? Felt solid all the way around it. Not sure if to [buy] or not.

Tedd04

Re: How bad is this

Postby Tedd04 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Depends on the price... I'd also inquire about having a survey done to put a moisture meter to the boat.

notoriousjje

Postby notoriousjje » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Tedd04 wrote:Depends on the price... I'd also inquire about having a survey done to put a moisture meter to the boat.

We are at $8500 with that repaired and a 30 day warranty on the powerhead. Boat has a 94 200 yamaha on it.

Moisture meter is a GREAT idea.

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:11 am

That hole(s) could be more ugly and more costly. Maybe!
It is the first time we have seen a ram injection system to put water into a whaler hull.
How long, how much, how far into hull, how...?

A moisture meter may help, but it is subjective in use. Bottom paint is one thing that will will effect the readings.

The stuff of WhalerMares.

Don McIntyre - MI

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:31 pm

You may have a repair that needs a couple of feet (on both sides) replaced. Probably not too much water injection at speed, as that portion of the hull would be (for the most part) out of the water.

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Did the seller actually admit to hitting something? I've seen that exact kind of damage caused by a very stupid trailer arrangement. The bow was banging against the winch support and slowly chewed a hole similar to that one. He may be too embarrassed to admit he didn't correct it.

Jefecinco

Re: Assess Hull Damage

Postby Jefecinco » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:51 am

That looks a lot like a bow eye was pulled out of the hull. It looks too low for that, but....
Butch

Oldslowandugly

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:35 pm

It's hard to find an 18' Outrage bow eye pic. On this '82 it's not in that exact same spot. Every one I've seen had the eye way down low. None had it at the top of the lip. But I don't see a bow eye at all in the damage pic. Image

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:52 am

If it is the bow eye mounting location any water intrusion would probably be minimal and not worth worrying over.
Butch

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:19 am

That area looks like it's below the waterline when at rest and is probably acting as a water injection port when crashing thru waves. I would doubt that it DIDN'T force water in and break the bond between the foam and the fiberglass skin for quite a distance away from the hole. I'd walk away from it.
Also, has the fuel tank been replaced or has the plywood backing on fuel tank cover been replaced? On an almost 40 year old boat, you can rest assured that the time is near for this costly and time-consuming repair.