115 Ficht Engine NO OIL Alarm

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Lucaseosso

115 Ficht Engine NO OIL Alarm

Postby Lucaseosso » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:41 pm

I have a 2000 23 foot Boston Whaler Conquest. I have two Evinrude 115-HP Ficht engines on them. The starboard engine is showing a NO OIL alarm light at engine speed of about 2000 RPM; at top speed engine speed the boat runs great. The engine must be shut off and on and then off again because the engine goes into S.A.F.E. mode.

Somebody please give me some insight on why this is doing this.

Thanks--TIM

Seahorse

Re: 115 Ficht Engines

Postby Seahorse » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm

First we have to know which 115 HP FICHTs that you have. They are not "all the same." What is the model number on the affected engine?

Lucaseosso

Postby Lucaseosso » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:36 pm

I will have the serial numbers this weekend.
Thank You for the help
Tim

Albert Jr.

Postby Albert Jr. » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:49 pm

Firstly, I cannot stress enough how sensitive the Ficht engines really are. I've known many owners who've used them for years but all of them were maintained right.

Secondly, the first generation Ficht engine==of what I know of--have an oil system which will send excess oil back into the oil tank.
This can lead to your engine receiving air in the system which will then put it in S.A.F.E. mode.

I do find it weird that your engine isn't showing any alarms, so I might be wrong.

jimh

Re: 115 Ficht Engine NO OIL Alarm

Postby jimh » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:18 am

The engine goes into S.A.F.E. mode because it thinks there is a problem with the oil supply. The engine alerts you with the NO OIL alarm.

Read the owner's manual to understand what conditions cause the NO OIL alarm to illuminate. I have reproduced a portion of the operating manual for an Evinrude c.1992 engine that explains the meaning of the alarm indicators. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... gnals.html

In that engine--and I assume in the model of Evinrude you have--the NO OIL alarm sounds when the engine detects that there is insufficient flow of oil into the engine compared to the engine speed.

In any alarm system, when an alarm sounds, there are several possible causes:

--the alarm system and all its components and sensors is working properly, there is a real alarm condition, and the alarm is sounding correctly;

-- a sensor in the alarm system has malfunctioned, it incorrectly indicates a problem, and there is a false alarm;

--an alarm system central component (if such a component is used) has malfunctioned, it incorrectly indicates a problem, and there is a false alarm; or,

--the alarm indicator itself, such as a lamp or aural alert, has failed, it incorrectly indicates a problem, and there is a false alarm.

Before making any assumption of a false alarm in the oil system, one should be absolutely certain the oil system is working. Running the engine without proper oil delivery will be harmful.

The most prudent approach to resolution of this NO OIL alarm is to proceed with the notion that the alarm system is working properly and there is a problem in oil delivery.

Obtain the factory service manual for the engine. Read the service manual section on the oil system. Typically the service manual will provide advice on how to test the oil system for proper operation, how to interpret alarm conditions and remedy them. In you plan to perform diagnostic and repair service on your own outboard engine, having the factory service manual will be very useful.