Storage on Montauk 170

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Clay

Storage on Montauk 170

Postby Clay » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:10 pm

How do owners manage storage of various things on board [a Boston Whaler 170 MONTAUK boat] like lines, fenders, life vests, extra clothing, etc.?

Stephen_12

Re: Storage on Montauk 170

Postby Stephen_12 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:40 am

Fenders are on short ropes and I just flip them over the rail and inside the boat when I'm under way.

My Montauk 170 didn't have enough storage space in the console for the life vests to remain in the canvas bag so I used to take them out, and individually pack them inside the console. Not a good place with all the wiring and cables you can damage if you pull them out too quickly. Same concern with clothing. I used the cooler to store things and lost the ability to store fish in it. If I caught large fish, I would empty the cooler and throw the contents in the anchor locker. It wasn't an ideal situation. Since the boat didn't have a live well and Boston Whaler told me that the boat could not be retrofitted with the newer live well option (it was a 2005), I sold it and upgraded to the Montauk 190. This boat has the live well, a large helm storage area, a larger anchor locker, and a much larger console for storing things without hooking wires and pulling on cables when you need to remove them from the console. I add a second cooler for frozen bait.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:48 am

I agree with the comment that a good way to increase the storage area on a 17-foot Boston Whaler boat is to sell the boat and get a larger boat. However, that is a rather drastic solution to the problem of storage on the 170 MONTAUK.

Another thread describes how storage for fishing tackle can be greatly improved. See

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1393

Dick E

Postby Dick E » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:24 pm

I usually have two people on my boat–three people would feel crowded.

Here are some things I do with regards to storage on my 1998 17 Montauk.
Store the anchor, chain and line in the factory built bow locker.

Put all life jackets, clothing and anything else that I want to keep dry in the factory supplied cooler in the bow of the boat.

Add another cooler (exact size unknown). Have it big enough just to fit in the offset in front of factory cooler This cooler with ice serves for the fish that have been caught.

In the bottom of the console, I have fire extinguisher, plastic tool box with tools, first aid kit, 12 volt plug in lantern, flashlight, spare bilge pump and tow rope with hooks in plastic bag.

On the front side of the console, below the ignition switch I have a 12-volt cigarette outlet that serves many purposes.

The factory supplied rod holder nicely holds six (6) fishing rods.

During fishing season I have a 20-gallon bait tank in the stern of the boat.

Click on Jim’s link above for my tackle storage center.
These are just some ideas. Boats are like houses, never enough storage, but some how we make it work.