Fairing Compound for Crack Filling

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
stanyon

Fairing Compound for Crack Filling

Postby stanyon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:38 am

I am just about ready to start fairing the inside of my 13-foot Boston Whaler boat. [There are no] deep cracks--just spider web showing after sanding. I have decided to use the Total Boat product [later mentioned to be TOTAL FAIRING]. How much should I order ?

blacklab

Re: Amount of Total Boat Product to Order

Postby blacklab » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Start by ordering a quart. You want the freshest stuff. If you buy [too much] the quality suffers by the time you get near the bottom.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:22 am

What is the product that you are going to order?

stanyon

Postby stanyon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:44 am

Thank you for the information, I will be using TotalBoat Total Fairing compound
Attachments
Gel.jpg
Gel.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 6191 times

Acseatsri

Re: Fairing Compound for Crack Filling

Postby Acseatsri » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:33 am

For the hairline crazing in the picture, I'd use Interlux epoxy primer or the equivalent Total Boat product, first two coats thinned to nearly water consistency. This will seal and glue down any pieces which are loose (and you may find it makes the cracks disappear as well), then use the same primer just slightly thinned to build the thickness and sand out the cracks. Figure on at least two quarts and four to five coats applied with a foam roller to accomplish this, so you'll probably be better off with a gallon. The fairing compound should be used to fill in large cracks and voids after the epoxy primer failed to do so, as the fairing compound probably won't penetrate and fill the cracks.

In 2008 I did this on a Outrage 22; [the final finish] using Interlux PERFECTION paint has held up extremely well.

Are you trying to salvage the non-skid, or do you plan on using Intergrit or a similar product to re-apply non-skid?

stanyon

Postby stanyon » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:52 pm

I would like to maintain the non-skid surface, if possible; it doesn't show near the spider webbing. Also, what are those screw heads showing in the picture?

roverrepublic

Postby roverrepublic » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 pm

I have used the Total Boat faring and it is very simple to mix [and to] use. I am not a professional, so simplicity matters a lot.

If you are not set on repainting the boat's topsides with normal paint, I have had great success with KiwiGrip. It covered all of my boat's spider cracks and there was no faring needed.

If you do decide to go with the faring, then order the TotalBoat WetEdge Topside paint. Again, a great product and simple. I just ordered some for another project (same classic Outrage), and there is free shipping on all TotalBoat products.

Thanks,
Brad

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:54 am

The screw heads seen molded into the pattern of the gel coat may actually have been screw heads in the mold used to make the boat.

stanyon

Postby stanyon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks again to all for the input and the sharing of this knowledge base.