13" Sport - Cleaning Steering at Motor End

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
littlewhaler

13" Sport - Cleaning Steering at Motor End

Postby littlewhaler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:09 am

Hi, I've searched through a few threads on Continuous Wave and elsewhere regarding binding or stiff steering. I have a 1985 13' Sport with a teleflex steering cable. Based on other threads, I disconnected the steering rod at the motor end to check where the binding was occurring. With the linkage disconnected from the engine, the engine turned back and forth freely. Also, with the large nut removed at the starboard side of the engine where the steering rod goes through, the steering wheel seemed to turn freely. So, it seems it is binding when the rods telescope within the sleeve at the engine. So, from what I've read, the fact that I've greased this over time, it's probably gummed up or otherwise needs cleaning.

My question is, to get the complete steering rod out from the sleeve at the outboard, do I need to disconnect anything at the steering wheel end? Or can I tap the rod through the sleeve at the engine to get it all the way out? Is there anything else that must be removed before taping it through? I hope that makes sense. It seems to me I could just tap it through as long as there is room for the overall cable to flex. As this is a sport, it isn't running through anything - it's just runs along the side from the steering column to the engine.

IMG_3617 2.JPG
IMG_3617 2.JPG (101.96 KiB) Viewed 5174 times

littlewhaler

Re: 13" Sport - Cleaning Steering at Motor End

Postby littlewhaler » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:29 pm

To help anyone else out, I'll answer my own question (after some more searching and trial and error). As I had room for the cable to move, I was able to tap out the end linkage and bring it out through the sleeve on the engine. I did not disconnect anything at the console. And based on some other recommendations, I used a cleaning kit for a shotgun to clean out the sleeve. And there was plenty of crud built up. After getting it all cleaned, the steering worked beautifully.

Don SSDD

Postby Don SSDD » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:36 pm

There is a nut you can buy for the port end of the tube, it replaces the stock one and has a grease nipple. The extra grease nipple helps a lot.

Don
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

flymo

Postby flymo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:50 pm

Don SSDD wrote:There is a nut you can buy for the port end of the tube, it replaces the stock one and has a grease nipple. The extra grease nipple helps a lot.

Don

It is called a Steersman Nut, and they work very well. Get the stainless steel version.

http://www.steersman.com/html/products.html

littlewhaler

Postby littlewhaler » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Thank you for the tip on the Steersman Nut.

macfam

Postby macfam » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:05 pm

Ditto on the Steersman's Nut. Has double,"o" rings to keep grease in, and (salt)water out.
Been using the for years on several outboards. Ditto on the SS version. Will only take a SMALL a mouth of grease. Mine have last several years without touching It!!

macfam

Postby macfam » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:06 pm

Ditto on the Steersman's Nut. Has double,"o" rings to keep grease in, and (salt)water out.
Been using the for years on several outboards. Ditto on the SS version. Will only take a SMALL a mouth of grease. Mine have last several years without touch It!!