1995 OUTRAGE 21 Wiring For Bow Mount Trolling Motor

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Grinch 21

1995 OUTRAGE 21 Wiring For Bow Mount Trolling Motor

Postby Grinch 21 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:44 pm

I'am new to this form and I need some help. I own a 1995 Outrage 21. I want to install a trolling motor on the bow. Seeing as how Bostons are foam filled, how can I run wires from the center console to the motor on the bow? I see other Boston Whaler boats with a windlass on the bow; how did they get the wires up there?

jimh

Re: Wiring For A Trolling Motor

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:41 am

On Boston Whaler boats which have high-current electrical accessories at the bow like an anchor windlass, an electrical conduit is typically installed during the manufacture of the hull to provide a wiring path for the electrical cables to the device from the center console.

If your 1995 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 21 was fabricated without provision for an electrical conduit to the bow, you will have to invent some other method of installation of the wiring for the trolling motor.

I recommend you contact Boston Whaler customer service and ask them if they have any trick in mind to solve your problem.

The details of construction of some of the more recent Boston Whaler boats is revealed in drawings that can be found at

http://whalerparts.com

Those drawings do not go back to c.1995, but they do show a c.1998 210 OUTRAGE, which may be useful.

Don McIntyre - MI

Re: 1995 OUTRAGE 21 Wiring For Bow Mount Trolling Motor

Postby Don McIntyre - MI » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:49 pm

Off hand, I wonder if the center section of the rub rail would accommodate wiring.

rzwhaler

Postby rzwhaler » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:41 am

I wired a [navigation lamp] using wires running through the center section of rub rail. [To run wiring through the center section of the rub rail was] not easy, but it can be done.
1994 21 ft Outrage
250 hp Yamaha Offshore
Southwest Florida Denizen

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:42 pm

There has been no activity or reply from GRINCH, the initiator of this thread for over three weeks. There is no indication he is following this thread and reading the advice given here. This discussion may continue, but apparently to no benefit for GRINCH.

Wiring for very small electrical loads like a navigation lamp uses electrical conductors of perhaps 16-AWG, and the hidden-under-rub-rail approach to cable routing is quite common and actually recommended by Boston Whaler for re-fitting to older hulls. For small conductors, it is a good method.

To provide the proper power distribution for an electrical load like a bow-mounted trolling motor for a heavy 21-foot boat will require much larger conductors, probably at least 4-AWG and perhaps larger. If running small conductors under the center section of the rub rail is described as "not easy," then I would anticipate that running 4-AWG conductors would be just about impossible. I suspect that if this method is to be at all practical, only one conductor could be run under a rub rail. That would mean one side of the boat would have to carry one conductor of the circuit and the other side carry the other conductor.

A further problem is how the conductors would leave the rub rail and return to the interior of the boat. Large conductors like 4-AWG will have a minimum bend radius that may not fit under the rub rail center section. The access holes may have to be drilled on a 45-degree angle instead of a 90-degree angle to prevent the bend radius from interfering with the fit under the rub rail.