Refinishing RPS

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
JohnW

Refinishing RPS

Postby JohnW » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:38 pm

I've tried searching but can't seem to find a topic specific to refinishing a reversible pilot seat. I have a 1986 Montauk and am trying to get her back in shape. One of the last steps is to refinish the RPS. I am considering going with varnish, but would like to speak with someone who has done it a time or two. Any helpful links are much appreciated, as is anyone willing to speak with me via PM or telephone. Many thanks!

Don SSDD

Re: Refinishing RPS

Postby Don SSDD » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:51 pm

My recommendation is to sand/clean off all the old finish and apply 5-10 coats of a very good quality finish like Epifanes. Maake sure you get all the old stuff off.

Don
1986 Outrage 18 with 2001 Honda 130 HP
Former Owner 1991 Guardian 19 with 1994 Evinrude V4 140HP
Former owner 1987 Montauk with 1998 Mercury 90HP
Nova Scotia

jimh

Re: Refinishing RPS

Postby jimh » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:58 pm

With a varnish finish you need many coats to build up a complete moisture barrier. Any water that gets under a varnish finish will tend to lift off the varnish from the wood. Thus a lot of work is needed initially to get the varnish finish right.

If done properly and a very high quality varnish is used, the finish can last many years without too much upkeep--as long as the finish keeps water out and any damage like scratches of gouges are quickly repaired.

Woods like teak have natural oils. You may have to remove them in order to have the varnish adhere strongly to the wood.

To get a great, smooth, high-gloss finish requires technique and the right temperature and humidity during application.