Fixing poor gelcoat repairs

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Mattwarner

Fixing poor gelcoat repairs

Postby Mattwarner » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:48 pm

My 13 has quite a few patch repairs which, although look professionally done ( feathered in and perfectly flush) the colour is way too light and I want to try and fix Them the patches are quite big (3" round)

Any recommendations on how to do this?
Thanks

Wweez

Re: Fixing poor gelcoat repairs

Postby Wweez » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:04 am

Matt, I have the feeling your question has not been answered is because of the number of time this question is asked on line.
The answers are most subjective. If this is your life project or the entry to a new profession dig in and learn all about it.
Go for it! If you ae cleaning up a boat for use?

The rest of this post may seem cold, it is not, just direct.
Use search feature for your initial research.
Very basically, gel coat is thick paint which must be mixed and applied per instructions and then sanded and polished to shine.
Tinting it to match is no more difficult than mixing and matching the paint on your car.
Very few people can mix paint or gel coat to match. I once heard that there were 19, but that was very optimistic. There is also a strong possibiliy that the repairs did match at one time and faded.

Personally, if you can live with the boat as is, I would suggest you go fishing, and enjoy the boat.
If you are determined to make it look better. Clean, lightly compound the whole boat, polish and wax. Enjoy.

Good Luck.

Malsr

Re: Fixing poor gelcoat repairs

Postby Malsr » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:06 pm

Also, Spectrum sells BW gelcoat colors and gelcoat repair kits:
http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Index.aspx?key=cat