15 SUPER SPORT: White All-round Lamp Mount

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Malsr

15 SUPER SPORT: White All-round Lamp Mount

Postby Malsr » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:27 am

I think [my 1985 Boston Whaler SUPER SPORT 15 boat's white all-round navigation lamp mount is] missing a piece that fits in between the top threaded mount and the knurled piece that screws down upon it. I just ordered a new [white all-round lamp fixture]. When I tighten-down the knurled piece the lamp pole can still move freely. [Is the mount] missing a compression fitting of some sort for this?

jimh

Re: 15 SUPER SPORT: White All-round Lamp Mount

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:34 pm

On the typical mounting on the transom of a classic Boston Whaler 15-foot boat for the white all-round lamp pole, there is a knurled threaded ring fitting that compresses an insert into the upper mounting bracket. If this insert is lost, there won't be any compression. On my 1976 boat the insert was a circular ring or spacer with a bevel and a slot cut into it so it was not a complete circle. This was compressed by the knurled ring being tightened. This detail is clearly shown in the image below:

bostonWhalerPoleLampFitting.jpg
Boston Whaler pole lamp compression fitting showing internal compression ring
bostonWhalerPoleLampFitting.jpg (26.25 KiB) Viewed 6684 times

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:45 pm

As for exactly where you could find a replacement part, I cannot offer any sure source. The general design of this fitting is very similar to what was used on adjustable microphone stands. You might be able to get a similar compression ring from a vendor that sells a lot of microphone stands, perhaps something like GUITAR CENTER.

It is a long shot, but perhaps give Boston Whaler customer service a call, or the renowned parts dealer Twin Cities Marine.

You could also fabricate something like this from wood by using two hole saws to cut the ring-shape, sanding on the bevel, and cutting the slot.

Malsr

Postby Malsr » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I need to know. Amanda at Specialty Marine offered to send one to me for free so they apparently stock that part.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:29 pm

Good outcome.

ASIDE: regarding navigation lighting, I like to use the following standard terminology:

LIGHT--this is what you see when you look out on the water. You see the other boat's navigation lights.

LAMP--a device that produces light with certain characteristics, such as color or over a particular arc.

LIGHTBULB--an electric device in a lamp that generates the light, usually incandescent but now often from a light-emitting-diode or LED.

The names of the LAMPS come from the names of the navigation signals or lights they create:

SIDELIGHT is the red or green light that shows over a certain arc from dead ahead to past abeam, and it is created by two sidelight lamps. Sometimes they are combined into one lamp, a combined sidelight lamp, and installed at the bow.

STERNLIGHT is a white light shown over a certain aft-facing segment; it is never a 360-degree light.

MASTHEAD LIGHT is carried aloft on a mast and shows a white light over a forward-facing segment; it is never a 360-degree ilght.

ALL-ROUND light is used in lieu of Masthead and Stern lights on some small boats and shows 360-degrees, usually from a pole.

There is no navigation lamp called a "bow light" and no 360-degree "stern light" on a pole.

Most smaller Boston Whaler boats have a combined sidelight lamp at the bow and a white all-round lamp on a pole.

Ducktown

Postby Ducktown » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Did Specialty Marine have a name or part number for the compression ring? I need one, too.

Malsr

Postby Malsr » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:40 pm

Not sure what the part # is but if there's a part number when it shows up in the mail I'll pass it along then.

Pescatore

Postby Pescatore » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:31 pm

The rubber piece was missing from my [lamp] also. I used a garden hose gasket in its place. Just cut it so it fits around the mast, slip it on, and tighten, and you are good.

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:02 am

Good suggestion. Very easy to source and not very expensive.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:06 am

Is the fixture pictured the same as the fixture used on 1981 Sport 13s?
Butch

jimh

Postby jimh » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 am

I don't know the history of the use of the white all-round pole lamp shown above on different models and different model years of Boston Whaler boats.