RAGE Conversion to Outboard

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Whalerguy999

RAGE Conversion to Outboard

Postby Whalerguy999 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Hello. I have an admirable 15-foot Boston Whaler RAGE boat. I pulled its [inboard jet] engine, and I want to install an outboard engine. I reinforced the transom with one-inch plywood, and I used fiberglasss mat stringers to support the transom--very sturdy. I'm installing aluminum plate on exterior stern of the hull and bolting the outboard bracket tothat plate with stainless steel bolts through the hull and into the plywood on the interior of the stern.

I want to use a jack plate with a ten-inch setback. It should work fine because the aluminum plate gives rigidity, along with the bolts and the one-inch fiberglass-reinforced plywood and stringers.

I'm only putting a 50-HP four-stroke-power-cycle engine on the stern. My wife and I aren't doing any waterskiing. This boat will be used for whale and bird watching.

I know this topic was discussed years ago, but I would like some new input.

Thanks,
Bob

Phil T

Re: RAGE Conversion to Outboard

Postby Phil T » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:25 am

Bob -

Have you already reviewed the threads by Scott (Sraab928)?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

flymo

Postby flymo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:23 am

Bob, it may be too late, but if not, you may wish to consider using Coosa board or one of the other composites for the transom; plywood will eventually rot.

Regarding the motor and the setback jack plate, my one concern would be how might the weight of the outboard and its location affect the static and dynamic trim. You won't be able to check the dynamic trim until you get the motor on there, but you could mock up a setback bracket of the proper size, and add weight to simulate the motor you'll be using, and see how it floats. If you bolt the mockup to the transom using the standard BIAA pattern you won't have to drill any extra holes.

Flymo
Last edited by flymo on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:33 am

Here is a link to a number of prior threads on this topic in which Scott posted some comments:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=site%3Acontinuouswave.com%2Fubb%2FForum3&q=Sraab928+RAGE&btnG=Google+Search

wolf

Postby wolf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:57 pm

I was just given a 1995 Rage 15 after having had other Boston Whaler boats. The 1995 Rage 15 is in outstanding shape after having been neglected for seven years. I just learned that the OMC 115 engine is dead, so I am going with an outboard. Is a 90-HP or 115-HP good?

I appreciate reading about the other experiences in the conversion that I will have to address.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 am

Here is one of the many threads with a link to photos.

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011418.html

Scott is considered by many to be one of the conversion guru's.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

wburris262

Postby wburris262 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 am

Good afternoon fellas. So pretty much the same ole ‘song and dance’ - recently purchased a 94 Rage with a blown powerhead (still has jet drive in hull; in perfect condition), and I’m wanting to go forward with the outboard conversion. I’m probably going to receive some backlash for asking this but...has anyone considered just leaving the jet drive in hull and closing up all the ports with silicon/stainless fasteners? I realize it may not be as aesthetically pleasing, but from an operational perspective could this work? I’m assuming the grate opening on the bottom of the drive would create some adverse drag?

Not saying this is the avenue I’m going to take, but I have not seen any similar posts in the past so I think it’s worth starting a conversation. Any ‘constructive’ feedback would be greatly appreciated!