Hull and Keel Protection

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
jklutsch

Hull and Keel Protection

Postby jklutsch » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:08 pm

I guide hunters on Kodiak Island using my 1984 Outrage 18--an admirable boat for over there. The beaches are very rocky and tough on fiberglass hulls. Besides keeping it off the beach--something that is impossible--what is the best way to protect the keel and hull from rock damage? I currently have a small keel guard that runs half the length of the boat, but it does not do much. Is there anyway to protect the entire hull? Any special coatings or modifications that can be done? Any advice is appreciated.

floater

Re: Hull and Keel Protection

Postby floater » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:05 am

May be expensive but just line the front hull with keel guard strips! Or call the company and see if the sell it in sheets.

conch

Re: Hull and Keel Protection

Postby conch » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Saw a boat in Nova Scotia with a boat fender at least 4 foot long tied off horizontally to cleats at the bow and hanging just below his bow eye.
As he approached the rocky shore he lengthened the lines until he rode up on it for a few feet. When beached the forward section of the hull was on top of the cushion. What I noticed was that the fender did not float and was firm enough to support the bow.

Another boat nearby just used several tires tied together and deployed them the same way.