Bimini for 15

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Realrez

Bimini for 15

Postby Realrez » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:39 pm

[I need] some help choosing a Bimini top for my 1985 15 SS. I would like to be able to stand with the top up and have it lay down in a boot when not being used. I also need to mount it as my Boston Whaler boat never had a Bimini installed.

Oldslowandugly

Re: Bimini for 15

Postby Oldslowandugly » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:26 am

Bimini tops are great and there are a lot of models for sale. Most use aluminum frames and come in many sizes. You need to measure for what you want and then research what is available. Take time to figure where you will attach it. I used stainless steel clamps to mount mine on the railings which added some height for free. I bought mine used on Craigslist because it was made of 7/8" stainless steel and I was able to extend the tubes with 1" stainless tubing I had on hand. You must allow for the straps which secure the top fore and aft as they eat up a lot of space. I mounted the top so that in the folded down position it rested on the hand rails and makes a nice backrest for my rear bench seat. I can tilt the motor without touching the folded top.I also upgraded to Sunbrella fabric for the top which is very durable. The brand is Attwood which offers complete kits and are nicely priced. Attwood is sold by lots of vendors like Bass Pro and West Marine. Once you decide on dimensions, do an internet search and you will find the best prices. Various top lengths are available and I found 6 feet to be about all I could use without being hard to fish around. I found a boot on Ebay made by Canvas Products Company in Detroit. Great quality at a decent price. It fits so well people think a canvas shop made it custom. Image

CarverCovers

Postby CarverCovers » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:36 pm

There are many bimini top options for your boat! The most popular height is 46" (measured from the mounting point), however there are also 54" H and 60" H available. We wouldn't recommend going any higher than you need to and keep in mind that the tops will be just a few inches higher in the center @ the crown.

The most popular mounting width for the 15 Super Sport is between 67"-72" and the most popular length is the 3-Bow 6' top.

The measurement when the top is laid down will be different than the height of the top when it is in the upright / used position.

The tops are available in aluminum w/ standard black nylon fittings, aluminum with stainless steel fittings or full stainless steel. The Sunbrella will be the best and most popular option for the canvas and storage boot.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:17 pm

See

http://continuouswave.com/maintenance-logs/bimini/

for some advice on adding a Bimini top to a classic 15-foot Boston Whaler boat. I don't think you really want a top that will allow you to stand under it. That would require a very tall frame. The gunwale height of a classic 15-foot Boston Whaler boat is very low compared to most boats that will have a Bimini top mounted to the gunwales.

My article (linked above) will give you a lot of advice and tips on installation of the top.

Realrez

Postby Realrez » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks for the info.