Chock for Fitting to Whaler Classic Combined Sidelight Lamp

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
borrowedtime

Chock for Fitting to Whaler Classic Combined Sidelight Lamp

Postby borrowedtime » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:50 am

I have recently purchased a [1981] STRIPER 15. The previous owner did not use a stainless-steel stud [later determined to be the chock that sits atop the lamp] on the navigation lamp assembly. Where I can find this particular part?

frontier

Re: Navigation Lamp Stud Assemby

Postby frontier » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:48 pm

Do you mean the 2-3/4-inch-long [fastener] for the reproduction [combined sidelight lamp] and chock assembly? If so, they are $6 at Specialty Marine.

If it's the original Perko lamp assembly, call Sue at Twin Cities Marine in Two Rivers, Wisconsin.

jimh

Re: Navigation Lamp Stud

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:17 am

I'd like to see the "stud"? Is it some sort of fastener?

borrowedtime

Re: Navigation Lamp Chock Assembly

Postby borrowedtime » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Not the stud, but the piece the stud screws into [later determined to be the chock]. I found a vendor out of California that has the piece I was mentioning.

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/ststpochforb.html

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:34 am

I am still not clear what component is being sought. Are you looking for a stainless steel machine screw of a particular length and thread? Or some sort of very specialized component of the lamp and chock assembly we haven't seen yet?

borrowedtime

Postby borrowedtime » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:03 am

The link will send you to the part I am referencing. It is not the screw itself, but the part the screw attaches itself to. Which attaches the assembly to the boat. Heads up on that vendor they are not good when it comes to customer service, which I expected due to such low prices. I will follow up to let you know if the parts I purchased are worth anything.

jimh

Re: Chock for Fitting to Whaler Classic Combined Sidelamp

Postby jimh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:40 pm

Okay, I think I understand now. You want the CHOCK that sits atop the the classic Boston Whaler combined sidelight lamp. I changed the thread TOPIC to reflect that.

The part you have (that needs replacement) might be a cast part that was chrome plated.

And, yes, it would be great to hear how that vendor worked out in supplying that part.

borrowedtime

Re: Chock for Fitting to Whaler Classic Combined Sidelight Lamp

Postby borrowedtime » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:16 am

Update: I got the [replacement CHOCK and long threaded bolt] from [marinepartdepot.com]. The parts were everything described and worked perfectly. The customer service was terrible, but at the price being charged I really could not complain too much.

jimh

Postby jimh » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:53 pm

If MARINEPARTDEPOT.COM sent you the CHOCK and special thread BOLT you orderd, and those parts were of excellent quality, and those parts fit perfectly as replacement parts in your original OEM combined sidelight lamp assembly, exactly what aspect of your dealing with MARINEPARTDEPOT.COM caused you to rate their customer service as TERRIBLE?

borrowedtime

Postby borrowedtime » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:35 am

It took a month for the parts to be delivered, and I literally had zero interaction. I called and emailed, no response no order confirmation no shipping tracking number, etc. However I did receive the parts and they did sort of fit the original equipment.

They sent bolts instead of screws and the bolts were too long but it fit with a flat washer and I guess they're stainless. But yes, I got the lamp lens, the chock--I don't know if that's the proper term--the original lighting, and bolts for $30. So, buyer beware, but all in all it worked out in the end.

John_Madison CT

Postby John_Madison CT » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:34 am

I've ordered from Marinepartdepot.com before. You'll eventually get what you ordered, but in at least 20 attempts, I've never received either an email or phone reply.

They simply won't respond.

The only way you'll get attention is to dispute a Paypal payment and file a claim.