Hull Repairs

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
gccch

Hull Repairs

Postby gccch » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi all. I have had an 11-foot Boston Whaler boat for a few years now and it could use some repair on the bottom side. The keel is worn down from being beached on sand exposing the fiberglass. Also a few areas have been chipped also exposing the blue glass. I plan to leave the inside original as it is in pretty good shape. There is a little cracking on the transom but it seems pretty minor so not too concerned. I have not figured out how to add pictures but will keep searching for that.

I need some guidance on how to make the repairs and repaint the bottom. Most of the repairs are under or so close to the water line I can cover with a good bottom paint. So it does not need to be a glossy finish. I keep it on cape cod and may leave it in the water for a few days at a time. otherwise it gets pretty occasional use. Usually too busy doing chores to go out in it.

Please outline the process to help me get started.

jimh

Re: Hull Repairs

Postby jimh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Rather than just give an "outline of the process" for you to get started, I can offer detailed advice on making repairs. Please visit the REFERENCE section, where you will find two good articles. Look at the table of contents under the subheading REPAIR/MODIFICATION:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

There is a great deal of information about Boston Whaler boats and related topics that exists in the REFERENCE section.

Also see a narrative of hull repairs with epoxy resin at

http://continuouswave.com/maintenance-logs/epoxy/

I think epoxy resin would be a very good choice for repairs below the water line which will later be covered with anti-fouling paint. Epoxy is very easy to use and is completely water-tight.

gccch

Re: Hull Repairs

Postby gccch » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:20 pm

Excellent. Thank you very much for the guidance. Will update you on progress after I read through this.