How To Deduce Model Year

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
kateandtosh

How To Deduce Model Year

Postby kateandtosh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi! I am trying to figure out what is the model year of my Boston Whaler boat. I was told 1964, but I am thinking it is not. I can't find a hull number, and do know--pre-1972--not every boat had one. Does anyone have an idea on year?

Thanks!
boat2.jpg
boat2.jpg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
boat1.jpg
boat1.jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
boat.jpg
boat.jpg (74.78 KiB) Viewed 4727 times

macfam

Re: How To Deduce Model Year

Postby macfam » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Because of the engine well. See [the REFERENCE section at http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/13/ regarding] 1971 engine splash well change.

History...In 1971...the motor well changed to a wrap around style; previously a straight bulkhead had separated the transom from the cockpit...In 1972, the transom height was raised to 20 inches from 15 inches, probably to keep pace with the use of higher horsepower motors...

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:01 pm

Your question about the age of your Boston Whaler boat is a frequently asked question--in fact the MOST frequently asked question. Answers to frequently asked questions are available in the REFERENCE section in the FAQ article. See

Q1: How Old Is My Whaler?
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q1

ALL Boston Whaler boats have had hull numbers. Please see the FAQ. Read about stencil numbers. You should look for the stencil number. It may be under that reinforcement bracket where the engine is mounted.

About all that is clear in your images of the boat is the transom is still the cut-down transom for a 15-inch-shaft engine. This just identifies the boat as a pre-1972 model. But the sink-style splash well means it is a 1971 or newer. The intersection of these two is 1971.

Please show us the bow of the boat. The presence or absence of a smirk bow will also help identify the model year.

frontier

Postby frontier » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:23 pm

I believe it is a 1972 model year. That is the only year the 13 had the combination of the blue interior, 15" transom cut out, sink-style stern splash well, 3 piece rub rail with black insert and smirked hull.
We had one - great boat!!

jimh

Postby jimh » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 am

If the boat in question were a 1972 model it should have the federally required hull identification number (HIN) or perhaps some evidence that it once did have that number. In the early days of federal HIN identification the number might have been embossed on a metal tag and attached to the hull; a metal tag like that can become detached from the hull, but the rivets and their holes would likely remain.

The use of the federal HIN and its manner of application is also described in the FAQ. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/FAQ/#Q2

Lisaschilling

Postby Lisaschilling » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:21 pm

I found this forum to be helpful in my quest for the full HIN on my 15 striper. Here's my story - Although the Wisconsin state registration had only a partial HIN when I purchased the boat (for 15 years!) I live in California and needed the real info or they wouldn't register. I emailed whaler customer support and called them. Since the HIM was incomplete they asked me to look for the serial number stamp.

Originally I was told by the seller it was a 1982 but then whaler gave me much better info by looking at the handwritten notes in their records:
This boat was built in our old Rockland, MA factory as a 15’ Striper model and was originally shipped out to a place called Minnetonka Marine, in Wazata, MN, on 12/27/78 (as a 1979 model).

This forum is a terrific source of information!

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:49 am

I believe that Boston Whaler Customer Service must have looked up your hull's STENCIL NUMBER in their old hand-written record books. You can see those old record books in a illustration to my article about a factory tour. See

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/factory.html

You find this image there: