PERKO Electric Lamp Components for Classic Sidelights on MONTAUK

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
JohnW

PERKO Electric Lamp Components for Classic Sidelights on MONTAUK

Postby JohnW » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:46 pm

I am trying to replace the [lamp for the combined sidelights] on my Montauk. I ordered the aftermarket assembly from Specialty Marine, but found that the lamp fixture inside is very cheap and the dimensions of the assembly are not the same as the original. One contact in this assembly was actually made by just wrapping the wire to the spring and twisting it a few times.

Does Perko still manufacture the innards from the original that would have come with a 1986 Montauk?

Specifically, the black rubber disc that holds festoon fixture and the fixture itself?

The fixture is made up of two pieces, the top which is a bracket,shaped somewhat like an like a Z, but with a completely vertical cross member, and a copper tab that holds the bottom of the festoon lightbulb and has some spring to it to hold the lightbulb in place. These two pieces screw into a hard rubber disc.
Last edited by JohnW on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jefecinco

Re: PERKO Electric Lamp Components for Classic Sidelights on MONTAUK

Postby Jefecinco » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm

John--the current Montauk models continue to use the same type navigation lamp and chock as classic Montauk boats. It could be worth your while to check with your local Boston Whaler dealer or with Boston Whaler on the differences between your Montauk's lamp and chock and the current offerings.
Butch

JohnW

Re: PERKO Electric Lamp Components for Classid Sidelights on MONTAUK

Postby JohnW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks, I have a call into Sue at Twin Cities.

[Changed topic to discuss how many threads covered this topic.]

Phil T

Re: How to Search for Article prior to 2015

Postby Phil T » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:08 am

The threads are in the archive. The search box on the upper right only searches the threads from 2015 forward.

If you navigate to Home and then Old Forum, and scroll down to search, you can retrieve threads from 2002-2015.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=site%3Acontinuouswave.com&q=montauk+bow+light&btnG=Google+Search#hl=en&q=site:continuouswave.com+replace+montauk+bow+light
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

JohnW

Re: PERKO Electric Lamp Components for Classic Sidelights on MONTAUK

Postby JohnW » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:26 am

I just spoke with Sue. She advises that the original bow chock/combined sidelight assembly used on a 1986 Montauk is still available from Boston Whaler. It is chrome plated brass. They also sell a slightly different version, made of stainless steel, that was redesigned to fit over the two piece rubrail that she says Boston Whaler went to around 2000. The guide posts on the chock assembly of the redesigned model are welded in place, whereas on the original they were not.

I ordered the chrome over brass that was OEM to my Montauk. Regular price was $390. I paid 344.40. There was an option to purchase the light assembly and bow chock assembly separately.

I'm afraid this is another example of "buy once, cry once."

Phil T

Re: PERKO Electric Lamp Components for Classid Sidelights on MONTAUK

Postby Phil T » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 pm

John--thanks for sharing this information. With the age of the classic boats getting on, there will be more failures in the future.

Is it possible for you to take a few photos, say a photo showing side-by-side comparison and one photo of the new light installed?

Thanks.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003