23 WALKAROUND WHALER DRIVE: Removing the WHALER DRIVE

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Tonio

23 WALKAROUND WHALER DRIVE: Removing the WHALER DRIVE

Postby Tonio » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:19 pm

Did anyone ever [convert] a Whaler Drive version of a 23 WALKAROUND--or maybe any other model--back to a notched transom version?

I am looking into [buying] 23 WALKAROUND boats, but they are a bit long for my spot in the WHALER DRIVE version.

Help and feedback will be appreciated. And a good year 2017 to all of you !

Thanks !
Antoine

jimh

Re: 23 WALKAROUND WHALER DRIVE: Removing the WHALER DRIVE

Postby jimh » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I doubt anyone has ever tried to convert a 23 WALKAROUND with WHALER DRIVE back to a notched transom boat by removing the WHALER DRIVE. It would be a complicated project, and I cannot see any advantage to be gained. In fact, I would never consider buying a boat whose transom has been so greatly modified in the field by a random owner. The structural integrity of such a boat would be suspect.

If you want a 23 WALKAROUND without the WHALER DRIVE, just keep looking. I am sure there are some models like that out there. But don't by a 23 WALKAROUND with WHALER DRIVE and hack it up.

necka

Postby necka » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:38 pm

Antonio years ago I converted a 1982 OUTRAGE 22 with Sterndrive. It was pretty straight forward. The normal outbound transom was there under the gunwale to gunwale panel.The integrity of the transom was fine. I did have to plug the sterndrive and rebuild part of the splash well. I am not sure if they would have changed the transom to adapt the Whale Drive, other than the false wall above the transom. Sorry no pictures it was a long time ago.

Good luck Dave

6992WHALER

Postby 6992WHALER » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:27 pm

I own a 23 walk around, I would d never consider trying to turn it into a notched transom. The two boats have extremely different cockpit layout. You would have to cut out the sinks and life well and then make a new splash well transom somehow.

I would strongly recommend that you buy a notched transom if that is what you want.

If you look in the old forum, you can find some picture I took of the inside of the transom they show you how the top deck is connected to the hall.