1966 Whaler 16

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Firedude201

1966 Whaler 16

Postby Firedude201 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am

Hello all,

I am about to kick start this project, this is not going to be a refurbish to original more of an update and refit with current modern items on board. You are about to see off duty firefighters who really have no clue what they are doing while fixing up a 1966 Boston Whaler. This will be first and foremost a fishing boat used in rivers, lakes and once or twice a year the Gulf of Mexico (Bay only). The boat will not stay in the water for long periods of time. I will post photos of the progress I make, if at any time you can offer any info. PLEASE do so. Thanks!

So with that being said, items up for grabs-

Wooden Center console (Original in the need of TLC), with original glass

Wooden seat (Original in the need TLC)

Metal Railing - Front and Back (Looks good needs a few parts here and there)

All parts have been placed in for sale item on this web page.

On the undetermined list-

1984 115hp Evinrude E115TLCRD (May say the hell with it and buy new)

To do list,

1. Photo the boat from front to back and post.

2. Remove gelcoat (this will be the long road) and slip treading.

a. Infamous Spider Cracking / Stress Cracking

3. Repair where needed and fill holes.

4. Build or Buy furniture for boat (Center Console / fuel tank - bait tank / battery storage).

5. Dry fit furniture.

6. Recoat bottom of boat – oh the battle between gel and paint. Thinking paint is going to win…

7. Set furniture and bond to deck via admirable videos from the fiberglass master over at BoatworksToday (youtube).

8. Finish coat on the topside to include non-slip..

9. Outfit boat – maybe new motor??? We will see… Electrical / plumbing..

10. Update trailer and paint..

11. And replace rub rail.

I have done my homework on this project but you can only do so much reading and youtube’ing. Professionals make it look easy, I know it will not be. Any help would be greatly appreciated, over view of the boat is not too bad for a 50 year old boat, I can see a few whiskey dings here and there but the original owner whom purchased the boat new took care of it for the most part. The Gel Coating is not in good shape, however I have not seen any structural problems – we will see. It cool to think this boat was only owned by one other person for almost 50 years… Have a great day!
Attachments
BWphoto.JPG
BWphoto.JPG (22.4 KiB) Viewed 2639 times

frontier

Re: 1966 Whaler 16

Postby frontier » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:29 am

Try to restore the original gelcoat inside and outside if possible. Try a test spot using #7 polishing compound and a machine buffer. You might be surprised with the results. Usually it is easier, quicker and cheaper than remove and replace. The original gelcoat is worth saving.

frontier

Re: 1966 Whaler 16

Postby frontier » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:38 am

If the original white rubrail is intact, scrub it with Bar Keepers Friend and Scotch Brite pad. Many times comes out looking like new. Bar Keepers Friend is also great for fiberglass rust stain removal and general fiberglass polishing.