TRIM TABS: Volvo QL v. Lenco Limited Space

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Koa e'kea

TRIM TABS: Volvo QL v. Lenco Limited Space

Postby Koa e'kea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi Gang--I have recently sold my [1987--please use four digits for years instead or writing "eight-seven foot"] Guardian 18, and I have bought a 1999 23 Outrage--the after years. I use my boats for everything in a day but decided I wanted to do more weekend adventures and cruise, fish, an dive around the neighboring islands. I bought the 23 Outrage for a couple of reasons:

--the obvious, it's a Whaler;

--I'm able to have twin engines. This was a must for me because the Kaiwi Channel can be very unforgiving [with] currents that can move as quickly as a kicker can push a boat--and I know, I've been there;

--there is no SeaTow or Vessel [Assist] that covers the areas we'll be going; and,

--because it has a dive ladder and swim step--nothing as easy as the dive door on the Guardian but we can still get in and out with dive gear fairly easy.

I currently have twin 150 Optimax engine. I am re-powering with twin 150 Mercury FOURSTROKE engines (not VERADO). They'll add a total of about 60-lbs to the transom, but I think they'll be a perfect match--we'll see. I'm not to concerned about that, as I have seen a few 23 Outrages with twin F150's and BF150"s and they do pretty well. I yhought about the Suzuki DF140 engines. I had one on the back of my Guardian and it was great but, I just don't think it'll be enough--too little power at lower engine speed--to get the 23 on plane. That said, I need to add trim tabs which brings me to my question"

Does anyone have or has had a 23 Conquest or 23 Outrage or similar set up with the Volvo QL trim tabs or the Lenco Limited Space (LS) trim tabs?

I like the QL tabs but, how do they would work at trolling speeds if 9 to 15-MPH?

I would also not want to drill the hole below the waterline so I guess I'd mount them to some KING StarBoard plastic material, if that'll work. [Will that work?]

I also like the Lenco LS, and nI would guess they would behave about the same. [Can] anyone [confirm that]?

I thought about just adding the 9x9--like what was an option for these models--but because we enter the boat when it's getting tossed around by chop and wind and because kids are involved it would almost be impossible to keep someone from either kicking them or standing on them due to there location.

Any advice would be helpful.
Thank you,

Jefecinco

Re: Volvo QL v. Lenco Limited Space

Postby Jefecinco » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:13 pm

Trim tabs can be under enormous pressure at speed or even when slightly above idle speed. Mounting via screws to a KING StarBoard mounted to the hull may not be a good idea. I would be tempted to mount them directly to the hull using robust hardware and ensuring a perfect seal with a good caulk.

One benefit of trim tabs on a deep V-hull is that the natural inclination of the hull to tilt in a side wind while on plane can be corrected with trim tabs. They are also useful for correcting a tilt caused by uneven loading. With twin 150-HP engines you will probably find the tabs are not needed to speed up getting on plane.
Butch

Koa e'kea

Re: Volvo QL vs Lenco Limited Space

Postby Koa e'kea » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks Butch,

I'm not very concerned about screwing into the transom, I'll have to do that with any of the options. However, the thru hull holes I'd like to avoid. The thought was to just use the Starboard as a spacer so I don't have to drill two below-water-line holes in the transom. I haven't been able to find a picture or specifications of the back of the QL to know how big the hole I'd have to drill will be, and how thick the spacer would need to be. I think the holes would be a deal-breaker and I'd go with the the LS Lencos, otherwise, if they work.

The horsepower or side-to-side isn't so much a concern as is keeping the bow down. Seems to be the key to a smooth ride with this hull. So I'm also hoping they can keep the bow down at lower RPM because the conditions are almost always "steep and deep".

Koa e'kea

Re: TRIM TABS: Volvo QL v. Lenco Limited Space

Postby Koa e'kea » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 pm

I went with the Lenco 4x12 Limited Space trim tabs. I'll post how they work when I get the boat set up with the new Mercury Fourstroke XL150's. I'll also do a new post of some performance data; I haven't been able to find much performance data on this hull. I will be going to 2014 Four Stroke XL150 from 1999 Saltwater 150 Optimax and adding the trim tabs.

Next up, propeller selection, and I am thinking to try TYPHOON 14.25x19 SS four-blade propellers.

jimh

Re: TRIM TABS: Volvo QL v. Lenco Limited Space

Postby jimh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:42 am

Thanks for the follow-up on your choice for trim tabs.

I was hoping that you might choose the Volvo QL trim tabs, just on the basis of being curious about how you would install them. As I recall, the Volvo QL trim tabs generally need a rather large hole made in the transom so their electrical cable can be bought into the hull interior. That tends to be a problem with a Boston Whaler boat because of the thickness of the hull at that point and the use of the double-bottom foam-filled construction. I was looking forward to seeing how you might have solved that.

Choosing the LENCO tabs is probably a better option, since their mounting and their electrical cables will be simpler to handle.