E-TEC Top-mount Remote Control Too Large

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Davisislandsail

E-TEC Top-mount Remote Control Too Large

Postby Davisislandsail » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:19 am

I'm repowering my 1986 Montauk with an [Evinrude E-TEC] 90. [I planned to use] the standard [mechanical cable top-mounting] Evinrude remote controls (with a separate ignition key panel), but [those controls] seem just a little too big for the space provided on the helm console of a c.1986 MONTAUK. By that I mean that even if a bigger hole were cut, [the console] doesn't have the surface area to fit without [a part of the top-mounting remote control] hanging over the edge of the console. My rigger is having to fabricate a mounting plate that allows it to hang over the edge by a 1/4-inch or so.

Clearly other E-TEC owners have solved this problem in some elegant way. Please--can somebody provide a better idea ?

My old BRP [top-mount remote] control was cracked and nasty, so I don't want to re-use that. Thanks.

Phil T

Re: E-TEC Top-mount Remote Control Too Large

Postby Phil T » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:01 am

I recall seeing a photo where the owner mounted the [top-mount remote control unit] on the console so the overhang was on the top of the face and not below.
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:22 pm

Just for reference, I think you are asking about an Evinrude Single-Lever, Top-Mount remote control Without Key, PN 5006182. A profile drawing is shown below:

singleLeverProfile.png
singleLeverProfile.png (12.38 KiB) Viewed 7465 times

You must be referring to the fore-and-aft dimension as being too long to fit onto the pad that is molded into the helm console of the classic MONTAUK center console. I am surprised by that because the length of the base is only a bit over 7-1/2-inches. That does not seem to be excessively long.

What are the approximate dimensions of the pad on the classic console?

The drilling template for that device is shown below:

singleLeverDrillingTemplate.png
singleLeverDrillingTemplate.png (27.99 KiB) Viewed 7467 times

As suggested above by Phil, a workable solution is to let the overhand occur on the upper edge of the mounting pad, and fashion a new escutcheon plate so the base of the controls won't be left in mid-air.

jimh

Postby jimh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:40 pm

On further investigation, perhaps the problem is the distance needed for the throttle lever to move forward. At complete extension of the throttle lever forward, the lever is going to need about 8-1/2-inch clearance. See the drawing below:

SingleLeverControlIThrottleLeverSwing.png
SingleLeverControlIThrottleLeverSwing.png (32.49 KiB) Viewed 7462 times

Is this the actual problem with space available on the console?

Also, the configuration of the pad for mounting the engine controls on the center console of the classic Boston Whaler era boats changed a few times. At one point the pad had a sloping surface. I suspect your boat must have a console with the control pad arrange for a flat mounting. I think that console was used c.1986, as I have seen it on some other boats from that era.

andygere

Postby andygere » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:19 pm

I used a binnacle control made by UFlex when I installed an ETEC on my Outrage many years ago. The console is the same that would have been on an '89 Montauk.

Here's a link to the single level model. I simply ordered the remote key switch and mounted it in existing hole in the console from the previous one. Clean, functional and probably less expensive.

http://www.boatersland.com/ufxb73.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAwrbEBRDqxqzMsrTGmogBEiQAeSE6ZWJ7oVd78up2bM5mubwQiIiUdUWVueDcs4VJ8dI95IYaAmNh8P8HAQ
1989 Outrage 22 Cuddy

kwik_wurk

Postby kwik_wurk » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:42 pm

Yes the [Evinrude top-mounting single lever remote control base] is longer than the space on the mid-era classic consoles. There is very little overhang, and my shop mounted the [Evinrude remote controls] with a slight bit of overhang on the aft edge--what you would see standing at the helm--with a slight bit more overhang on the front edge. You come up with 1/4-inch; I think mine at the most has 1/8-inch combined. This on an 1983 classic console.

I was surprised when I saw [the lack of space or the size of the controls--it is not clear which one is being referred to here--jimh]. The shop offered to make a KING StarBoard-style base plate that would be slightly angled, but they said it doesn't look any better.

Davisislandsail

Postby Davisislandsail » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:26 am

Thank you for your replies. Good to know I'm not alone. My rigger has fabricated a KING StarBoard plate to have a "sheer" where the binnical just hangs off aft. Just a 1/4 inch or so, but of course the plate jacks the controller up. Life is a series of compromises.

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:10 pm

This is similar to my 170 [helm console] and [E-TEC remote control] throttle base. There was not enough room between curves and edges without this adjustment. KING StarBoard of 1/4-inch thickness was used to lift the throttle and fair the mounting. It looks good.

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:52 pm

The E-Tec remote control on my 170 Montauk has a very slight overhang on the rear of console, my dealer just filled the space with white silicon caulk.

DSC_0432.jpg
DSC_0432.jpg (98.43 KiB) Viewed 7378 times
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

rlboeri

Postby rlboeri » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:57 pm

You are correct in that it is slightly too large for the mounting position on the Montauk console. My installer made a black Starboard mounting panel that overhangs fore and aft just a bit. It keeps the bopttom of the control unit sealed, loooks ok, and works just fine.

Bob