KING StarBoard to Build Steering Console for SPORT 15

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
PJMSport15MY1984

KING StarBoard to Build Steering Console for SPORT 15

Postby PJMSport15MY1984 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Hello Fellow Whalers, [Seeks reader who] have have any experience using KING StarBoard. I am thinking about using it to construct our steering console for our classic SPORT 15. Thanks in advance for all replies.--Paul

flymo

Re: KING StarBoard to Build Steering Console for SPORT 15

Postby flymo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 pm

I have used KING StarBoard for some projects. It is a great material: easy to clean, does not rot, and will not absorb water. It has two major limitations:

--panels are not very stiff, and

--it can't really be glued, so you have to use mechanical fastenings.

The latter may not be a limitation, but the former could be. For a Sport console, I would recommend a hybrid - build the vertical piece out of Starboard, and use mahogany for the horizontal panels. That way the wood isn't down in the wet soaking up water, you reduce the amount of varnishing needed, and you still have that classic look.

You may know this, but you can find small pieces of Starboard quite easily on Ebay.

Flymo

Acseatsri

Postby Acseatsri » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:56 pm

I would think 3/4-inch-thick sheet KING StarBoard would be plenty stiff for a steering console. If need be, you could use mahogany in the inside corners to give it some additional resistance to flexing, but for a small SPORt 13 console I don't think it would be necessary. The short spans and wide pieces at 90-degree-angles attached to them should be plenty stiff enough as long as you're not sitting on it.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:23 am

I believe the whole console could be built of 3/4-inch KING StarBoard with little chance of flexing or cracking. As said, it's pretty stiff in that size.

I saw a Sport 13 recently with a white Starboard interior and it just didn't look right. Ugly is a word I don't like to use but seemed pretty appropriate in that case.

I believe Starboard is available in a darker color. If it's necessary or desirable to use Starboard a little contrast might look nicer.
Butch

macfam

Postby macfam » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:26 pm

I agree with 3/4" Starboard for the console.
Also, careful marking your Starboard with pencil when measuring.....it won't come off!
In addition, I have bonded Starboard successfully with 3M ScotchWeld 8005 2 part adhesive. Adding mechanical fasteners is also a wise move.