190 Montauk Trailer Set-up

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
SkipJack

190 Montauk Trailer Set-up

Postby SkipJack » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:16 pm

I've got a 2008 190 Montauk and have just bought a Load Rite 4400 bunk trailer. I want to put the two long bunks in the correct position to avoid resting the hull chines on the bunks when I pull it out of the water. I also want to put the winch in the right position. Does anyone have info about the bunk position, perhaps from a Karavan trailer that came with their Montauk? How far apart are the bunks? How high from the frame is the winch?

I've read that this info is in the Karavan user's manual that came with that trailer. Thanks [to] 190 Montauk owners for any guidance you can provide.

2008 190 Montauk

ferdinando

Re: 190 Montauk Trailer Set-up

Postby ferdinando » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:00 am

Skip: I still have my original trailer which came with my 2008 Montauk but I won't see my boat till next Friday. If you can hold on
till then I will forward the info to you. --Fred

SkipJack

Postby SkipJack » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:04 am

That'd be great, Fred, thanks. I'm taking the boat out of the water as soon as I can, so that info will be timely.--Skip

SkipJack

Postby SkipJack » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:21 am

Hi Fred. I need the height of the bunks over the top plain of the trailer, if you'd be so kind.

Here's what happened. I got a trailering diagram from BW and saw that the bunk separation was OK. But when I tried to trailer the Montauk, it was resting on the tire fenders. So, the trailer dealer didn't really set up for the Montauk at all. I've got to return the trailer and have them raise the bunk level and lower the fender level. But, the height of the bunks over the trailer's top plain would be great info. I can't derive that from the setup doc I got from BW. Perhaps they don't need to lower the fenders.

On the bright side, the family got in another half-day of boating in unseasonably warm weather.

Many thanks,

Skip

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:29 pm

top of trailer beam 26" to center of roller

transom to end of bunk 8"

bunk width back of trailer 34'-3/4 inside bunks

bunk width front inside 33"

bunk length 8'-4"

top of trailer beam to lower point inside bunk in front +2"-1/2"

top of trailer beam to high point outside of bunk in rear +2"-3/4

hope it helps if you need anything else yell

try to measure fender height of top of beam in morning if I have time and remember.

john

sent PM of cell to you if you have further ???? call or text.

SkipJack

Postby SkipJack » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:32 am

John: many thanks, that's great info. Fender height to top of beam would be great to know, if you can get that.

Fred and John: the trailer company has agreed to take the trailer back and make the adjustments. Get this--they'll determine if they have to charge me. Right.

The u-bolts that hold the fenders aren't long enough to substantially lower them. And the brace the bunks are attached to can't go any higher. Larger parts in both places should make the trailer work with the Montauk.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:53 am

With a BEAM of 8-feet, the hull of a 190 MONTAUK will probably not be able to fit between the fenders of a boat trailer that complies with the usual restriction on width of 8-feet 6-inches. This means the height of the boat on the trailer frame will have to be set so the chines of the boat hull are just clearing the fenders. Usually a gap between the top of the fender and the hull chine is set for at least a clearance of 1-inch. You can get the dimension you asked for, "Fender height to top of beam", by measuring from the gunwales down to the chine line, and then adding an inch or two.

The position of the bunks in the lateral direction from keel center line is usually set so the bunks are inside the sponson runners on the hull. I am afraid I am not very familiar with the details of the 190 MONTAUK hull, but I suspect it has sort of vestigial sponson or runner on the outer portions of the hull. The bunks are usually set to be just inside of those runners. If there are any through-hull protrusions that would interfere with the bunks, the bunks are usually moved to avoid them, or, if the through-hull protrusions are close to the transom, you can cut a relief in the aft end of the bunk to create a pocked for clearance.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:23 pm

The best way to set the winch position is to adjust it to fit the bow stem of the boat as loaded on the trailer. Get the boat loaded onto the trailer with the orientation you want, then move the winch post and winch position on the winch post to fit the bow stop roller and the winch to the boat's position.

[CORRECTED] The bow stop roller or pad should be located so it lands just ABOVE the boat's bow eye on the bow stem when the boat has been winched home. In this way the bow eye cannot move upward because it hits the bow stop roller or pad.

The WINCH should be located so that it tends to pull the boat onto the trailer without trying to pull the bow downward. I like the winch position to pull the boat slightly upwards onto the trailer. Once the boat has been loaded on the trailer, I then add an additional hold down strap to the bow eye. The added strap pulls the bow eye downward and holds the bow stem firmly into the bow stop.

When my boat is on my trailer, there are three attachments at the bow eye:

--the winch strap, which is pulling very slightly upward on the bow eye,

--the safety chain, which is not under tension but is there in case the winch strap fails, and

--the added downward-pull strap, which is tensioned with strap tensioner so that it is exerting a strong downward pull and keeping the boat from bouncing upward on the trailer.

I have also found that having a keel roller close to the bow is essential. During launching the buoyant force of the hull will pick up the stern of the boat as it enters the water, creating a pitching moment that will try to push the bow downward on the trailer. There must be a keel roller close to the bow to prevent the bow from being pushed down. This is particularly important if you have a bow pulpit option.

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:30 am

Fenders are 8-inches above the top of trailer beam plane. Chines are 1/2 to 1-inch past fender.

SkipJack

Postby SkipJack » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for all the input everyone. I've learned a lot, and the learning continues-

Update: I took the trailer back to the dealer and they were happy to make adjustments. They've raised the bunker level 4 inches by raising the frame that holds the bunkers (I hadn't noticed this variable), and raising the bunkers to the top holes on their brackets. Will this be enough to hold the Montauk above the fender level?

I don't know, but I think so. I'll try to trailer it again and see. The next step would be to get longer brackets, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

I don't feel ripped off at all. I can see that getting a new trailer from a company that doesn't routinely fit them to any particular boat is an exercise in customization.

Any more measurements are still welcome. I'll have a lot of data to download for the next 190 Montauk owner who wants a new trailer. I'll post more after I try to get the boat out of the water again.

-Skip

Whalerdog

Postby Whalerdog » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:47 am

[C]hines are within an [inch] of the fender vertically[.] [T]here is even bottom paint in them.

SkipJack

Postby SkipJack » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:12 am

Final Report: The trailer company came through. They raised the platform inside the trailer frame by 2 inches and they raised the bunks by 2 inches. Now the 190 Montauk clears the tailer's tire fenders by 2+ inches. I had no problem getting the boat out of the water and onto the bunks. The bunks are perfectly spaced between the chines. The winch aligns with the bow eye. For reference the tailer is a Load-Rite Five Starr 4400TV1. Thanks again for all the data and advice.

-Skip

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:00 pm

How about some photos?

I am sure some members have new trailer envy :)
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

PatMc

Measurements of Trailer for a Montauk 19

Postby PatMc » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:12 pm

A buddy has this boat [i.e. what the author referred to as a MONTAUK 19 but most likely means a 190 MONTAUK] in a slip and needs to pull it out of the water for some repairs. I have a trailer [set up for] an old jet boat that I need to reconfigure to fit the Boston Whaler boat. If anyone has one of these [i.e., a 190 MONTAUK] on a trailer, would you mind taking a few measurements for me? I need to know bunk height in relation to the tops of the fenders (boat needs to sit above the fenders I think, since it's so wide). Also distance between the two bunks so I miss the strakes. Thanks

[Merged two threads running concurrently on same topic. Sent this author a private message informing him of the new location for his article--jimh]

JRP

Re: Measurements of trailer for a Montauk 19

Postby JRP » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:15 am

Assuming you are referring to a 190 Montauk, then you're in luck: [See above.]

SkipJack

Postby SkipJack » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Yes, you are in luck!

The bunkers should be 32.5 inches apart measured from their inside edge at the bottom. If your bunks are 4 inches wide like mine, that's 40.5 inches on the outside of the bunks. The tops of my bunks are 25.5 inches off the ground. The fenders are 28 inches off the ground. Yours may be different - I'm adding this measurement to note that the fenders can be higher than the bunkers and the boat will clear them, mine by a couple of inches. My advice - put your bunks on the highest setting their frames will permit. My winch is set 27.5 inches above the frame.

I'm attaching two spec sheets I got from Boston Whaler, both full of somewhat useful data, and a pic of my boat and Load-Rite Five Starr 4400TV.
Glad to answer additional questions - this forum helped me a ton!

-Skip

Trailer data 190MT.dwg.pdf
(51.87 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
02210190MT.dwg _Library (Not Va.pdf
(132.24 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg (142.51 KiB) Viewed 14252 times