1984 OUTRAGE 18 Steering Replacement

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Don From Mystic

1984 OUTRAGE 18 Steering Replacement

Postby Don From Mystic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:27 pm

[I am] new to this forum and am refurbishing an [1984] 18-foot Boston Whaler [OUTRAGE] boat which has sat outside unused and uncovered since 2004. The original double-cable steering is frozen. I intend to it cut off at [the engine] and replace it with a single-cable Teleflex--I am on a budget.

Will I have to remove the [cockpit] deck [of the OUTRAGE 18] to [install new single-cable Teleflex steering]?

Any tips on this process would be greatly appreciated as this job is new to me. Many thanks

Phil T

Re: '84 18' Outrage Steering Replacement

Postby Phil T » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:41 am

While it may be possible to remove the cables without lifting the deck, given the boat has been sitting outside for over 10 years, you should pull the deck.

Along with the steering, you will need to inspect and perhaps replace the fuel fill, vent, and supply hose, as well as the fuel tank ground wire.

We can walk you through it. How mechanically inclined are you? Have basic tools? Understand basic electrical system concepts?
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

Don From Mystic

Postby Don From Mystic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 am

Thank you for responding Phil. All good suggestions. I am a retired "shop teacher" and know my way around tools, electricity, and boats. Just sold my last boat, a 27 Albin diesel. Health considerations made my decision to sell her as I did everything but move it in and out of the water seasonally and couldn't anymore. I posted many upgrade articles on the Albin site over the 10 years I had the pleasure of owning it. The derelict Whaler was a gift from a good neighbor who moved south and once fixed will be more manageable for me. Every boat has its little quirks and I hope to learn more about what I have.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am

There are several comprehensive threads, with photos that may help.

I recommend you review the REFERENCE section and utilize the SEARCH feature from the OLD FORUM, there is a excellent chance the question or information you seek has been asked and answered.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/oldForum/

If you review the reference article for Outrage 18 tank replacement you can see what the rigging tunnels look like. The rigging runs in the starboard channel in this photo. Note this view is looking AFT.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/images/jeffR/image009.jpg

View looking forward:
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/images/jeffR/image011.jpg
1992 Outrage 17
2019 E-TEC 90
2018 LoadRite 18280096VT
Member since 2003

jimh

Re: 1984 OUTRAGE 18 Steering Replacement

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 pm

It should be possible to install new mechanical steering cables from the transom to the helm via the rigging tunnel, perhaps aided by using the old mechanical cables as pull-wires to drag the new ones through the tunnel.

I agree with Phil's comments on inspection: if the boat sat outdoors for 13-years without any cover or weather protection, the fuel tank cavity should be inspected for retained water. Carefully check the fuel tank for pitting, corrosion, and possible leakage.

See:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/outrageRestore.html

Don From Mystic

Postby Don From Mystic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 pm

I appreciate the links as I am yet to learn my way around here. Sure I will have questions after reviewing them

tom glynn

Postby tom glynn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Last year I purchased a 1982 Outrage 18 and, after one summer, decided to replace the old two-cable steering system. At first I looked into a single-cable No-feedback (NFB) system, but the manufacturer did not recommend it for my boat given its size and its horsepower rating.

I will be putting in a Seastar hydraulic system this spring--a little pricier--but after driving a couple of boats with hydraulic steering I decided it was a big improvement. Seastar does make a less expensive Baystar hydraulic series but its rating tops out at 150-HP which is the Outrage 18 maximum rating. Seemed marginal to me and In conversations with Seastar they did not recommend it for my boat and indicated they were likely to lower its HP rating.

People I have spoken with say the installation is relatively easy and the hoses should fish through the channel easily. I agree--you may want to uncover [the fuel tank cavity] to inspect [the fuel tank] since [the tank cavity, fuel tank, and hoses were] exposed for so long

Good Luck

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:59 pm

tom glynn wrote:Seemed marginal to me and In conversations with Seastar they did not recommend it for my boat and indicated they were likely to lower its HP rating.

I don't understand your comment. Please elaborate:

--what component "seemed marginal" to you?

--for what component did you infer Seastar was "likely to lower its HP rating"?

jimh

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Hydraulic steering is a very nice upgrade for boats like a 1984 Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18. Given the overall cost of renovation and re-powering of a Boston Whaler OUTRAGE 18, the added cost of using hydraulic steering instead of a mechanical cable system, when amortized over the service life of the steering system, is not a huge expense.

jimh

Re: 1984 OUTRAGE 18 Other Inspections

Postby jimh » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Although the initial topic in this thread was replacement of the steering, I also suggest that, as part of the inspection of the boat's essentials, the fuel hoses should be inspected. The rubber used in fuel hoses prior to c.1987 was not tolerant of fuel containing alcohol (or ethanol). Marine fuel hoses should be clearly marked with the date of manufacture and the resistance to alcohol, if they are indeed resistant. I strongly recommend replacement of any fuel hose not marked as alcohol resistant. Also, even if the fuel hoses are marked as resistant to alcohol, hoses made c.1984 are now over 32-years-old, and--just on the basis of their age--replacement should be very strongly considered. If you have the boat partially disassembled, you might as well deal with the hoses at that time.

Don From Mystic

Postby Don From Mystic » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

All great advice. Not knowing what I really have, and presuming the engine is run-able, I intended to initially use the boat with a portable gas tank. It has its original 1984, low hour, 115 v4 Evinrude (pre VRO) which I realize has non alcohol resistant fuel lines, gaskets etc. I did intend to float the boat to view where it sits vs the bottom paint line. The trailer is not road worthy to bring to a scale but is ok to get to the water across the road. Not knowing where to bring 50 plus gallons of 12 year old fuel (wish it were scotch) is another concern (quantity not allowed at Haz waste day in town). I also understand hydraulic is the ideal way but Ive also owned boats over 50 years of boating with regular "Big T" helm and cable set ups and with the trim fin set correctly, torque was quite tolerable, at least up to the largest motor Ive had, 140hp.

tom glynn

Postby tom glynn » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:55 pm

By "seemed marginal to me" I was reflecting that I would be hesitant to use a steering system whose max HP rating exactly matched the max HP rating boat. I would prefer to have some margin of safety.

Because I was concerned about this I called Seastar and spoke with their customer service people. They told me they were considering revising the max HP rating for the Baystar series downward and concurred with me that the Seastar system was the more appropriate choice for my boat and gave me the model numbers I would need for ordering .

I will be ordering the system soon and doing the installation as soon as spring arrives.

jimh

Postby jimh » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:19 am

Tom--thanks for the clarification.