Alternate location of fuel tank vent

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
Fishgutz

Alternate location of fuel tank vent

Postby Fishgutz » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:34 pm

Has anyone vented their fuel tank to any place other than through the side of the boat. I have a Dauntless 14 that vents through the fuel cap. I know that Dauntless 16 and some Outrage boats also had the fuel vent through the cap. Maybe some other late 1990's models vented through the gas cap, too. If you've changed it to vent somewhere other than through the side or fill cap, I'd like to hear from you. Pictures would be helpful, too. Thanks

Jefecinco

Re: Alternate location of fuel tank vent

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:05 pm

When delivered, my 1999 Dauntless 16, incorporated the fuel tank vent into the fuel fill. It was terrible and fuel could be added to the tank only very slowly. I returned the boat to the dealer requesting a warranty repair. The solution, provided in a kit from Boston Whaler, was to reroute the vent through a fitting in the port side of the hull as the more common practice.

You could easily make up your own kit with a vent fitting, hose clamps and possibly a new hose cut to the appropriate length. It's an easy fix though the working area under the deck is tight.
Butch

Fishgutz

Postby Fishgutz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:17 am

Jefecinco, did you do the work yourself?

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:01 am

No, the work was done under warranty by the dealer. However, I wouldn't hesitate to do the work myself. I would use great care in drilling the hole for the vent fitting to ensure the drill bit goes no further than required to avoid any damage inside the hull. I would also caulk the new hole very well to prevent any water getting into the hull foam. I believe the vent fitting should be mounted higher than the top of the tank and that the vent line should have a loop higher than the vent fitting to prevent water entering the fuel tank via the vent.

Before attempting the job I would do a little research to ensure I was going about it properly. Being [obsessive about detail] l I would use a Boston Whaler supplied vent fitting. A rusty vent fitting is not something you want in a year or so.
Butch

Wweez

Postby Wweez » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:46 am

These experiences are in line with everything I have heard. Are they still making those[?] They seem to be a great idea which did or does not work. Great for production. Lousy in use.

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:31 pm

This morning I was adding fuel to our 2009 190 Montauk using five gallon jugs. When it seemed to be nearing the top of the filler neck I locked over the side to see if any fuel had vented. There was no vent and I was surprised. Why didn't I notice this before today? We refuel the Montauk at a station about five blocks from our home. It sells non-ethanol gasoline and is a full service station. The attendant always handles the pump and we never had a spill.

The self venting fuel fill on our newer boat works exceptionally well and does not spill fuel.
Butch

Fishgutz

Postby Fishgutz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 am

What kind of fuel fill does your Montauk use? Brand? Pictures?

Ridge Runner

Postby Ridge Runner » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:14 am

Jefecinco's comment on the 190 Montauk's fuel venting system made me wonder about my new 210 Montauk. It seems the 210 Montauk is venting through the fill cap:
fuel.jpg
fuel.jpg (16.3 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
Member since 2005
2005 170 Montauk, 2010 E-TEC 115 H.O.
2016 210 Montauk, 2017 E-TEC G2 200 H.O.

"Red sky at night, sailor’s delight - Red sky in the morning, sailor’s warning”

Jefecinco

Postby Jefecinco » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:19 am

I'm guessing the new filler-vent arrangement is to prevent ANY fuel spills. Of course once you own it you can modify if you desire, but the new versions seem to be performing well.

I'm heading out this morning to catch some Spotted Sea Trout, so I don't have time to look up the fuel fill info requested by fishgutz. Look at the Boston Whaler parts site under 2009 Montauk for a illustration and part number for the fill and cap. Mine is OEM.
Butch

Fishgutz

Postby Fishgutz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:04 am

The new EPA standard is to have your fuel vented through the [filler] cap. Though mine is old it is now the standard. I think all I need is a new fuel cap or at least a new O-ring. My fuel cap leaks a little once in a while.