Anchor Locker Water Control

Repair or modification of Boston Whaler boats, their engines, trailers, and gear
skred

Anchor Locker Water Control

Postby skred » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:34 am

On my 1978 15 Sport, The standard mahogany-finished forward locker accumulates rainwater to a level over half-full - sometimes even more. I don't leave the plug out because I would prefer a dry area up front.

Since I am planning to replace the original hatch cover with a new one, I am considering routing a groove in the underside perimeter close enough to the edge that it would align with the lip of the locker. The dimension of this groove would allow the press-fit of a rubber gasket fitting large enough to protrude slightly above the wood. This (I hope) should act as a seal to keep rainwater from seeping into the locker. I am eliminating the original hole in the cover, since it--too--would allow water entry. Any observations, opinions, tips on this idea?

flymo

Re: Anchor Locker water control

Postby flymo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:09 am

As another 15 owner, I agree that to have to drain the anchor locker when underway is very annoying and awkward, especially when you're alone.

I would suggest a slightly different approach. Go with a single piece hatch cover, no hole, but then glue a gasket to the hull around the perimeter of the locker, and rout [out] a groove into the underside of the hatch cover that the gasket will fit into. The fit does not need to be at all tight, probably best if it's not. Once you have everything fitted, you will want to varnish the routed groove to protect it.

If you can find the right gasket material, that may be more effective at keeping water out, as the overhang of the hatch will be working in your favor, and the bottom surface is actually sealed, creating a lip.

A shower door seal such as

https://www.amazon.com/Translucent-Viny ... +door+seal

may work; you can mitre cut and use silicone seal in the corners. I'm on the fence as to whether to seal the entire perimeter, but I think I'd be inclined to skip the sternmost lip as I doubt much water gets in there anyway.

Another advantage of this approach is that it does not depend on pressure of the seal against the hatch perimeter - your original plan creates the possibility of putting too much stress on the hinges and popping one loose.

Flymo

skred

Re: Anchor Locker Water Control

Postby skred » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Your version is a much better solution than mine.. I will give it a try...

flymo

Re: Anchor Locker Water Control

Postby flymo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:58 am

I'll be interested to see what you come up with - might have to try it myself, now that you have me thinking about it!

Flymo